Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at bearings in the Federal Mogul on-line catalog today and they list several different sizes like this;Std-1-9-10-11-19-20-21-30-1X.Does this mean that I could get bearings that are .011 oversize and maybe do without having my crank turned to .020.My crank had already been turned .010 under and last time I rebuilt the motor I just had the journals polished.The reason I'm asking is because I remember reading here a while back that you can run much tighter clearences in a big block Chevy than what I now have,which is .002-.003 according to plastigage.The rod bearings were listed similarly,would that reasoning apply to them too?Come next rebuild time I would like to keep machining costs down so that I could get a Procharger!Lets hear some comments,I know some of you are machine shop owner operators.

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
I was glad to see these bearing sizes FINALLY available to the aftermkt. I saw the announcement in one of the trade mags last summer. The factories have been using odd-ball undersizes for years.
I previously had to tell customers that the crank would have to be turned. Now we can save the crank with a polish, as long as the journals are round and no taper.

I could have used some .011's on a steel sbc crank last spring. Mic got bumped as I was grinding the rods and the journals all turned out on the small side. Had to go to .020..

·
Hammer and a torch
1,254 Posts
Kinda sounds like old Chrysler days huh...? :D

I remember seeing .001 and .002 bearings on cranks in new cars & trucks...

But now thats pretty cool to have slight under and over bearings from the normal format of(.010, .020, .030) so will be nice to have a bearing to fit a slightly off journal... :thumbup:

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
Yep, those bearings will make a lot of crank grinders eating hot dogs instead of steak! :D

Don't be too quick to tighten up your BBC bearing clearances. I am more likely to run .003" on the rods and mains.

tom

·
Hammer and a torch
1,254 Posts
Yea I would prefer the newer dowel pinned bearings that are being offered for BBC`s... Think it may have been designed just for BBC`s and their problem of spinning main`s...?

Otherwise keep plenty of clearance as you stated... :thumbup:

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,734 Posts
Do the caps walk in the registers or something?

My buddy's tow rig has spun a bearing three or four times now under daily usage. A main, and the other, rods.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts