Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, hotrodders,
I've been nuts about hot rods - not factory built iron - since I was a kid in southern Cal. First time I saw that crazy T-bucket an 77 Sunset Strip I just had ta find out all about that stuff.
I'm a fan and minor practitioner of custom paint. What I have done is probably not all that original, but a few years back I decided I didn't like messing with the air brush - too much time cleaning in between color combined with super fast drying times. I like to use acrylic paints, and it occurred to me that I might experiment with painting by hand using the "acrylic" paint used by artists on canvas. Probably other guys have tried this too: I doubt if I've made some major discovery here. But so far, I'm very happy with the results, as the colors have stood up to the sun very well.
I confess I'm dog-nuts about choppers, and I haven't built for a few years. I had a stroke a few years back; I'm recovering; and itching for a project, but for now I can just look and admire. I love the whole activity of building something - a car or bike - that is unique to one's own concept. I want to know more about everything especially bodywork, upholstery, custom paint...
I hope to occasionally ask questions, but mainly I'm just looking to share a interest ;) sorry about the slow response, I'm huntin' and peckin' with some very sore fingers at the moment, besides I can't find the dang "send key"- in fact, for some of the keys I'm using my nose. Hey, and thanks for the "howdy" its nice to meet some friendly people with common interest.
Overtherainbo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anybody gotta cheap 1940s tank?

Hey, Fellow Babies,
Thanks for the welcome. Kinda nice to find a few friends out in the cold, cold cyber universe. I doubly apologize for my slow response; wouldn't want you to think I was ignoring a friendly, " hey, man." I tend to use the net for looking up my interests, and I'm usually just looking for info, you know, looking for stuff -- most of the sites are just that -info- and there's no forum for two-way discussion.
Like lately I've been exploring my own internal psychology; I'm trying to figure out why I have such a thing going-on about tanks, you know, tanks like the Churchill or an Abrams battle tank. I'm sorta trapped like Richard Dreyfuss in Close Encounters where he has this compulsion to sculpt the shape of the "Devil's Tower" over and over again. I find myself sketching tanks while I'm on the phone, etc. I'm trying to figure out if I'm retreating from Life's recent problems, or --- what's more likely --- I was a turtle in my former incarnation, and I'm starting to remember...
Any way I need to develop the habit of returning to a site and reading my e-mail more frequently.
Hey, Wretched Ratchet, that's a hot piece of iron. I like the way you maintained the factory paint format, but used a yellow that was way outta Detroit's reach. I was really impressed with the clean, precise detail of the interior work and the dash. Cool diamond pattern on the chrome strip. What is that crystal / plastic World War II fighter plane gun sight mounted on a chrome arm sticking off the top of the dash?
"One full turn after it squeaks," reminds me, when I was young and stupid. Pity I didn't understand that steel screws in aluminum is another story. I wound up having to cut an oil filter retainer cup off an engine block with a hammer and chisel one really, freaking cold winter day.
Man, eloc431962, Is this correct, or should it be Eloc431962? I don't want to be too informal too soon. Man, who wouldn't want a 'Vette to work on? But my jealousy is checked by the before and after pics of the engine. Yee cats! I hope you didn't have to knock all that rust off by hand! I've cleaned and polished small, aluminum stuff with an electric drill, buffing wheels, Dremel tools, and jeweler's rouge to kinda appreciate the job. Hat's off, man, I could talk myself into all kinds a trouble with a ride like that.
By the way, in my younger days, when you saw me in profile, Evil Wicked Mean and Nasty were my best features.
Man, NEW INTERIORS. I'm blown away. Don't tell me how you do it. I can't even type, 'cause I snapped into a tight, fetal, defensive posture of inadequacy after I looked at your picture album. Jealousy works that way on me. I mean, I can hardly move in my garage; I got two motorcycles in various stages of rebuild, plus all the normal crap I've collected over the last ...sigh.
Man, it's not enough that your building some hot, hot cars, but I'm real partial to Fords and Willis's from 1940 - just love the the fast back, the hood, and fat fenders. I can't help it, my Father had a beautiful 1940 Ford, and I guess that's just the way for me that, "a car is supposed to look."
I better quit looking at anybody's albums for a while... Every one of my vehicles need massive inputs of money, serious work, and ... and I can't do anything curled up like this. All your cool cars are sorta harshing my mellow ;)
overtherainbo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.