Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an idea how to soften a rather brittle dash pad? I have a 60 Chevy with a padded dash - overall it's in pretty good shape. It has a couple of hairline cracks. My bigger concern is if there's a way to soften the pad itself. Can these be repainted or dyed to match the interior colors? The Chevy has a red interior and the pad is darker than it was when it was new. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Nothing can help a darkened or faded and cracked dash pad except a NOS dash pad or a remoulding job. There is at least one company who specializes in remoulding dash pads to your old steel base pan. Google "dash pad remoulding" and see what you come up with there.

·
Registered
90 Posts
There is no way to re soften the old vinyl. It's pretty much just plastic now.

I just finished a dash pad for a 70' challenger. It was a pain in the arse to get the new foam in the proper shape, very time consuming. I took it down to the frame and then all new foam. Then I vacuum formed the new vinyl over top. It came out pretty good, but could have been a little better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.