Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fun fascination with F1 tech. Both the stuff that works and the stuff that does not work or has worked "to well" and was immediately protested.

Now this site seems to be more classic car based. But paddles are a thing that can allow for easier shifts and more control.

Simply put they have 2 clutch paddles next to the paddle shifters one for full on/off and another for feel/bite. These things are highly electronic taking strain off the driver. But looking at a clutch pedal setup. I am wondering if you could make some kind of "dumb" clutch paddle . You would want the feel so a single paddle on the left side of the wheel(shifting with the right hand) is all you would need.

My mind goes to linear actuators. You would have a actuator controlled by the amount the paddle is pushed that would then push on a hydraulic master cylinder.

The would allow you to mount the master anywhere freeing up firewall/foot well space and make converting from a automatic to a manual easy.

Dumb idea or something worth playing around with to see if it would work?

·
True Hotrodder
1,546 Posts
I think for it to work effectively you are going to have to dive into the electronics and software of it. Trying to basically have an analog system pushing or turning solenoids on/off is going to be too cumbersome and slow. I have driven a Ferrari 458 italia and I can guarantee you that upshifts and downshifts happen almost to the instant that you can think to pull the paddles. That car was the most serious fun I have ever had - and the only way I can describe it is AWESOME!

Then some idiot tells me about his tesla - I'm like you have no idea of what real power really is.

·
Registered
1964 Thunderbird, 390 FE
115 Posts
As a guy who dailys a manual car, my first thought is that your left hand would be too busy steering and clutching at the same time, especially turning at a stoplight or a similar maneuver. I have seen several homemade go-karts with paddle clutches, but they operated the shifter with their feet not their hands.

A guy could use one of those mini programmable computers like a Raspberry Pi or Arduino (sp?) to do a clutch by wire, but reliability/robustness would become a concern with that...

You really got me thinking on this one! It would be interesting to see how well something like this could pan out. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea thinking about this for a bit I wonder if I could have a switch on the shifter itself.

Pushing the switch would push in the clutch and releasing it would release the clutch(spring return).

Liner auctatiors are out. I am thinking of building my own out of these garage door openers(already have) and having the linkage sleeved so it moves literally shuting off when it hits the limit switch. This would offer for me to change the linkage and speed.

But say I want to ride the clutch. Holding it at a 3/4 position is something I dont have figured out.

·
Registered
1964 Thunderbird, 390 FE
115 Posts
Yeah feathering the clutch for even remotely smooth shifts would be difficult to do on a button. Oh, I just had an idea. The trigger on variable speed cordless drills can modulate voltage. If a guy could figure out how to use that modulation to control the clutch he'd be set...

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think reducing the voltage till the motors stops because it stalls would burn up the motor.

I need a switch that has positions so it only goes as far as say 1/2 or 5/8 the switch throw before cutting/pulsating voltage to maintain position.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts