Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The paint on the front fender has cracks or spider webs cracks. The fender is mounted very solid so I don’t think flexing has caused the cracks. My question is, has paint crack because of age or starting to separate from the surface of the fender. Will the fender need sanding down to the gel coat and starting over?
Any thought on the best repair? It is only on one fender as the others are in great shape.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Unfortunately without sanding you won't know whether it is in the paint only (unlikely) or the gel coat or from a stress crack or flaw in the fiberglas.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Any chance it's old time laquer paint? Noted for crazing and cracking over time. Any chance it was caused by a rock star......rock hitting underside of fender from underneath? If neither of those, probably vibration. If it's old laquer, sand it to the gel coat and start over. If it's a rock star, you'll have to repair the fibreglass, if vibration, you'll have to deal with that before refinishing. I think you'll need to sand to the gel coat no matter what the cause.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Unfortunately without sanding you won't know whether it is in the paint only (unlikely) or the gel coat or from a stress crack or flaw in the fiberglas.
I didn't want to be the bearer of bad news.
The only way to tell how deep, is to start grinding/sanding. (I just go for the grinder with 36 grit myself) you will have to get into the glass. At least get the gel coat off because it is cracked too.
Spider webs are caused by busted glass, it's hard to explain what to look for, but if its really bad under there it usually has a lighter color.
Unless its really bad under the gel coat, or the cracks are really deep right now, you can probably just grind them out and put a skim of Dynaglass, or another short strand filler over it and it will be fine. If its ugly underneath, you can do a proper mat and resin repair.
Of course, any of this is a pretty involved repair. Not to be attempted by the faint of heart. (Unless you have someone there to guide you) But not impossible, for sure.
Glass was one of the first things I learned working in the collision repair industry.
Probably because nobody else wanted to do it... It is a nice medium to work with, not bad after you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for your insight. The cracks are not for a stone or rock damage. The area towards the front of the headlight bar where the fender slopes down towards the radiator. I need to determine the paint whether it is lacquer of enamel. Since the cracks are very shallow I think it is a paint issue.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks to all for your insight. The cracks are not for a stone or rock damage. The area towards the front of the headlight bar where the fender slopes down towards the radiator. I need to determine the paint whether it is lacquer of enamel. Since the cracks are very shallow I think it is a paint issue.
Take a little laquer thinner on a rag and rub the paint where it's cracked. If it's laquer it will melt and disolve quickly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts