Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this topic would have been beat to death, but I couldn't find anything with the search function.
I want to upgrade my gun, with a new one that will only be used for base and clear, and I'm looking fro recommendations. I currently have an old DeVilbis Finish Line HVLP. One thing I like about this gun is the disposable liner system. I have done a little research on Sata and Iwata, and it appears they don't have a system like that, but there are "aftermarket" disposable cup systems, the 3M PPS and the DeKups, so any input on those would be appreciated too.
This is a hobby, not a production shop. As far as budget, paint isn't cheap so I'm willing to spend money on something that gets results, I'm kind of looking for a "90% solution", as in this gone does 90% of the best one for 1/2 or 3/4 the price, as that last little bit seems to always be the most expensive.
Right now I am thinking of an Iwata LPH400, maybe the LVB version that is supposed to be better with metallics, but I would appreciate any opinions.

·
SPI Thug
3,274 Posts
i have the lph400 and a lph100 . both are excellent guns . the savings in paint make the little extra cost mute.

·
Automotive Extraordinaire
1,278 Posts
Iwata LPH400 or Sata 5000 RP, either with a 1.4 tip and aluminum cup. They have adapters for the Sata for dekup, PPS, or RPS disposable systems. It only takes a few ounces of thinner to clean the gun and cup, so I never looked for my Iwata. I used to use Sata guns, but with the price of the 5000, I decided to try an Iwata LPH400. I must say, even though it is a little bit slower than the Sata guns I was used too, I like it. I can also see how it would be easier to the occasional painter to use. JMHO

Kelly

·
Administrator
6,247 Posts
I'm with the Iwata LPH400 group. I painted my Nova PPG BC/CC with it in a makeshift booth in my garage, first time shooter, came out perfect, no runs.

The only problem I had was while clearing, one mosquito (Alaska size...) committed suicide on the cowl and on my last fender the vent hole in the cup cap clogged and it burped....all over my just finished fender! :pain:

·
put up or shut up
3,144 Posts
I'd suggest the LS 400. IWATA if money is no issue. 1.4 I suggested it to our painter and he used it today at work for the first time and at his warehouse tonight. Just posted on Facebook about how excited he was about it. Everyone I know who has sprayed with it says it's the best hands down. I agree. It's very forgiving for a 1.4 and hard to run. Just sprays like glass.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Accuspray 10, One for base, and one for clear. They work very well.
Im looking for a good gun for Epoxy reduced sealer just before basecoat, and a metallic basecoat gun.

I have a older SATAjet 2000RP that I normally use for base and metallics, Devilbiss finishline (I LOVE IT!) for Epoxy Sealer, and a Iwata Supernova silver cap (I love it) for clear.

I'm thinking about a 3M accuspray gun for Epoxy Sealer and Metallics base under Kandy that will be shot with the Supernova.

Anyone had any luck with the 3M accuspray system?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.