Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I just recently got done with my first welding project , a custom lowrider bike, and now i'm wanting to paint it. I really don't want to use the cheap spray can method, i'm looking for a nicer paint finish like that of a car. What paint guns do you guys recommend for a beginner 16 year old on a budget? I've already searched the board for paints guns, but didn't find anything usefull.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i would recommend a sata gravity feed gun of some kind but that may not fit your budget. search ebay and you might find a good deal on one or from personal experience devilbiss also makes a pretty good gun, however if you can get your hands on one get a sata.

·
8,453 Posts
I use several guns from Harbor Frieght - 1 qt. can gun, 1 gallon remote head gun, detail gun, air brush. They are very good clones of the high priced ones and can't argue with the price. If I were a pro painter, sure I would be getting a deVilbiss, etc., but as a hobbyist, occasional painter, can't beat HF. I have painted a dozen cars and many wood working projects, lacquers, enamels, varnishes, urethane base/clear, gel coat for fiberglass work and just about any spray project you can immagine with them and they work great.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hey fed- my local Supply store carries Speedaire paint guns for around $65 and they are great for anybody starting out- I've recommended them to several students. I also found a gravity feed detail gun at a swap for $35 new and it is great for graphics- especially on bikes. I like Paasche best for airbrushes. I know NAPA makes cheaper guns but have used one only once and am not aware of prices. Check the aircap- if it has a finer pattern of holes you will get better atomization- better finish. Just a couple airholes and it will want to spit and clog. Just my $.02!!! Good Luck and have fun- painting is a BLAST!!! :)

[ April 02, 2003: Message edited by: Dragon J ]</p>

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I have a DeVilbiss Knock off I gave $120 for at Car Quest. It works very well, and is easy to adjust. I would recommend it to anyone doing hobby painting.

Chris

·
Registered
676 Posts
HEY FED: Harbour Freight Tools sells a lot of tools and offers a complete line of painting equipment. It is all manufactured on the South Side of China :eek: But since you will only be using it ocassionaly it should be okay. They are at WWW.HARBOURFREIGHT.COM GOOD LUCK DAVE

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I looked around on ebay and Harbor Freight, and have come up with another question on the type of paint gun I should get. I saw guns that had the paint top fed and guns with bottom fed paint. Does it make much of a difference whitch one I should get?

·
8,453 Posts
I recommend your first one be the $30 Harbor Freight 1 quart siphon feed gun. Use it to get used to the process then branch out to the specialized stuff as you see the need. Stay away from the ebaY stuff - no guarnatee. I have been buying from HF for many years and their return policy puts Sears Craftsman no question return policy to shame. Have NEVER been hassled by HF and have taken back some pretty rough looking tools that failed too soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I think I will be getting the harbor freight model. I appreciate all you guy's help.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's me again...I know, I'm a pessimist, but I'm gonna give you another warning. CLEAN HARBOR FREIGHT PAINTING EQUIPMENT THOROUGHLY BEFORE USE! Many of HF's guns are put together by people who probably couldn't even SPELL 'HVLP', let alone know what it's used for. I have purchased items from HF before for people, only to have it so loaded up with oil for better mechanical action that it ends up on the car between coat number 7 and 8 of clear and puts a monster Fish-Eye right in the middle of the drivers side door. Take it apart, clean it, THEN spray away!

The 'hopper

I'm offa my box now.

3,214 Posts
I would recommend that you thoroughly clean any paint gun that you buy before using it. They are not cleaned when they are put together. The parts are mass produced and there are oils used in the manufacturing process. A paint job, even when done by yourself, is expensive. Do it right by starting with clean equipment.

·
Registered
137 Posts
hey am i the only one here thats thinking, maybe we should be talking about him painting the bike or not. never mind what gun to use i think he may need more than a reccomdation on what gun to buy, and thats not said in a condesending manner at all but lets get real. am i wrong here??

bomo

·
8,453 Posts
Originally posted by bomo:
<strong>hey am i the only one here thats thinking, maybe we should be talking about him painting the bike or not. never mind what gun to use i think he may need more than a reccomdation on what gun to buy, and thats not said in a condesending manner at all but lets get real. am i wrong here??

bomo</strong><hr></blockquote>

?

·
Registered
86 Posts
The top tank guns tend to be HVLP= High Volume, Low Pressure. They spray more of the paint onto the work and have much less overspray but they tend to be more expensive and harder to learn to paint with. As you are just painting a bike, a bottom-fed, or Siphon style gun is adequate, much easier to learn on, and genaric models are cheap new (I bought a few at $29.95) will do fine for the first few jobs at least, and then can be used as primer guns. Are you painting your own murals too? I'm just learning about that myself, got a Badger airbrush on sale & a friend gave me a minature compressor, but don't know anybody near here who has such experience so I guess that'll be trial & errrorr. Good luck! :cool:

·
Registered
86 Posts
P.S. Don't buy a used gun quickly because if the needle is even slightly bent you won't get an even spray pattern, the bend can be hard to see with the naked eye. :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
USED SPRAY GUNS USUAL ARE WORE OUT AND YOU'LL PUT MONEY IN THEM. I'VE ALWAYS HAD GOOD LUCK WITH SHARPE GUNS,USED THEM FOR MANY YEARS. THEY USUAL RUN A LITLLE OVER A HUNDRED. MY PRIMER GUN WAS BOUGHT IN 78 AND STILL SPRAYS PERFECT TO THIS DAY.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Since the tip or the needle is such a critical part, would there be any logic in going cheap on a HF HVLP gun and get a couple new high quality tips for it? I am assuming there are a few sizes for spray pattern and such.
I am researching for my upcoming DIY prep/prime project.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Before selecting a spray gun, you have to consider the air compressor you have.

HVLP guns require a lot of air volume. Air volume is measure in CFM (cubic feet/minute). It is not unusaul for a HVLP gun to require something in the range of 12-14 CFM. That's a lot of air and your standard garage style air compressors doesn't put out that much air.

About the lowest requirement in the HVLP spray gun field is the Sharpe Platinum LV. It requires 7.5 CFM @ 55 PSI.

The advantage to using a HLVP is less overspray. That means more of the product goes on and less product is put in the air. That equates into a cleaner work area and lower costs.

By the way, I have to agree with everyone. For a cheap HVLP primer gun, spending $50 at Harbor Freight is the way to go. Their gravity-fed HVLP works great with 2K primer, epoxy, and other similar products. I have not a clue as to what the CFM requirement is. The only specs that I can find is a "43 PSI max" stamped on the handle of the gun. I suspect the 43 PSI translates into the 10 PSI "at the nozzle" maximum pressure that all HVLP guns are rated at.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts