Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have read a lot of the discussions here on "which paint gun to buy" and there all helpful. Because of the comments here I will probably get one of the name brand gun. My problem is in the number of guns to chose from. :pain: It stagers the mind. In other industries (woodworking, electronics, camera, etc) a person can get a magazine or online tool review. These compare important features of the item being tested from the models being tested. Does anyone have a link to this kind of review/test/comparison for paint guns?? :confused: I think the problem I'm having finding one is the reviews for the other industries I mentioned are all for consumer products. Paint guns might be better classed as a commercial product. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
It is tough to decide and about all you can do is read opinions and pay close attention to the opinions of people with pictures of cars they have done or paint everyday.
This will take a week of solid reading but I think most would agree the SATA and IWATA are the two best spraying guns of course now the next issue is to get one of these guns, can you get a 30 year financing to pay for it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Try the local jobber/paint supplier. Ask what gun(s) the shops in the area are using.

Ask a couple local painters/body shops.

I agree with Barry. Sata and Iwata are the top two right now. Personally I like the Sata for base coat and the Iwata for clear coat application.

He is right on the cost issue as well. With the name brand gun you do get service, and quality. Its worth considering. Even a used Sata can be sent back to DanAm for a refurb.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply. I guess the reason I wanted to see a comparison test is not only the usual (quality of painting, ease of use, etc) but I'm hoping to get a gun with very low amount of over spray. Reasons being not only the cost of paint but the location of my paint booth/garage. It has issues of ventilation and location. I saw on the Devilbiss sight a non HVLP gun that they clammed had a high paint transfer rate and low over spray. But it looks like most guns are going HVLP. I probably won't paint another car but want a good gun for the above reasons and I believe you need a quality tool to do the best job.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
http://spi.forumup.org/viewtopic.php?t=734&mforum=spi

Here you go and like I said happy reading is this is one of a 1000 on the forums and it will take you a while.

Do searches and you will learn a lot, problem with a one time post is most people are whored out on the subject so may not even respond.
Kinda like using an aero paint can question.

Read and read before you spend your money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.