Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much would a complete color change on a vehicle cost, interior, door jambs, underhood, everything. i would like to switch from a light blue color to tangelo pearl. anybody have any insight? btw its a 71 chevy truck(shortbed)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Depends on the shop. Depends on the cost of supplies and amount of bodywork needed etc etc. It could range from $1800-$3500. The shop I used to work for would do a complete job for $2000 with a decent body to begin with, meaning no cancer or tumors or craters to repair. It all depends on the area and the shop though.

HK

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does that cover pulling the engine and taking out the interior too? or would i have to do that kind of stuff myself?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Ahh, you want the whole anchilada entire engine compartment too. Well in this case usually the customer only brings a rolling body already gutted, but depending on the shop they will probably charge by the hour for labor so if I were you unless you have the cash do it yourself. Most bodyshops have an hourly rate for labor plus the cost of supplies so just find out the local shops hourly rate and how much your supplies will be and just figure in about 30-40 hours and theres your quick estimant. Can't get any more precise without seeing the truck and knowing the area.

HK

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks man, you've been a big help. i know im asking a lot of questions about a truck that i haven't even purchased yet. im just the kind of person that likes to plan ahead.

·
Kenneth Howard hates you...
572 Posts
I think if I were you...wanting to do a complete color change...I would call around to a few different shops first. It is always better for you to find a reputable shop that will give you a quote for doing the entire job, not by the hour.
Most of the shops that charge by the hour tend to streeeeetch things out a bit longer than expected.
Just my pennies worth.

·
Returning American Maddman
444 Posts
The more you can do yourself, the less money you spend.Any one can take something apart, but how it goes back together without ruining anything is a trick. I'd do as much as possible!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the advice, i think i might just get a cheap respray of the blue color, until i can save the money to do it the right way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts