Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i sanded down my old hunting truck and bought some duplicolor primer to run through my spray gun. the stuff I got did not need reducer. i wanted to add another coat so i bought some more to finish. turns out this **** did need reducer. i don't know nothing about paint so i just kept spraying lol. i later read the new can and it said to add reducer. can i simply scuff up the primer without reducer and respray or do i need to take it all the way off. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You probably need to sand it down. If it was a sealer primer it will sand like crap, if it was a filler primer it will sand pretty easy. Most sealers aren't meant to sand, and will clog paper fairly quick.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Reducer evaporate anyway, but depending on time between recoat, it may not get a bite on first coat. Primer surfacer is sandable. I dont know how you could get it to lay down without reducer.

·
Registered
852 Posts
will whats left after i sand stick good if I didn't add any reducer?
What's on there is going to stick if the surface was prepped right. The reducer only thins the product down, so it can flow out of the gun and lay down flat on the surface after you spray it.
If you are happy with the color, you could save yourself a lot of work and just leave it. Unless you are after a new car finish. It should be good for an old truck...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im a ninja lol. ok so ill just sand it down some. reduce the next batch and recover. thanks.

·
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW
2,857 Posts
Different paints have different time tables to dry before re coating and it varys by climate and temp it also needs time to shrink before sanding ! the project your painting must be at proper temp for good results not just the temp of the room !
Give it more time between coats!! Do a few test pieces before doing your main piece or project! If the product you bought expired it would change its chemical make up , It could have expired on the store shelf as far as you know ? See if there is a catalyst or hardener for that paint ! Get the paints MSD sheet and instruction sheet or look it up on the web! Reading instructions off the can is not enough info or detail !! If yuou ask the store they have to give them to you by law!

Jester

·
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW
2,857 Posts
Product Data Sheets and MSD! The MSD sheets tell you why you and pets or family are dying after you don't read the data sheet LOL!!!

Jester

1 - 9 of 9 Posts