Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need help...i'm painting an 84 vette and i was wondering whether anyone thinks i should go w/ a single stage or a base/clear coat? if it helps...i'm wanting to paint it black.

·
Registered
699 Posts
This is a question you could ask 10 people and get 10 different answers. I will tell you of my experience. I have used both paint systems. The single stage would be much easier for a beginner to put on but the gloss doesn't seam to last as long as the base clear. If you do the base clear, be sure you install extra lighting because the clear is hard to see when you are spraying this. If you have never used base clear before I would practice on something else before you go over to the car. If you are going to use black, be sure your body work is perfect as every imperfection is magnified with that color. If you need books or tapes on fiberglass preperation, go to ecklers.com. They have some good literature there. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
168 Posts
BC/CC for sure , way easier to work with during and after . The base is very simple to apply , the clear takes some practice and after its done if you have too much orange peel or blemishes you don't like , you can wet sand and then polish it to a beautiful shine .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts