Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to get the effect of "ghost flames"? What is the best type of paint and technique??

Also I am using body filler to "build up" part of a fender and in some spots it needs to be more than a 1/4 of an inch thick, I heard that you need to drill holes every 1" and press the mixture through, but I'm not exactly sure what that means, can anyone break down those directions step by step?

Thanks!!!

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
There may be more than one way to do ghost flames but the way I've seen them done is to paint the flames and shoot a translucent color over it, like candy color. I don't reccomend the hole drilling , it allows moisture to come in through the back and can cause it to pop off.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
you dont wanna hack your fender by drilling in holes. just take it off and then bump dent out from back side as much as you could and ....then fill.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. guys!! I'm going to give the ghost flames a shot. I guess experience will be the best teacher. Can bondo, if built up too much crack or expand...is that why the directions want you to drill holes??

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Lisa, Woods is right about moisture and body filler. Never drill a hole for the rumored reasons. I have done enough cutting and replacing bad metal on vehicles that have been repaired as you described and the mess created by the "drill and fill" pseudo boddy jerks tells me why it should not be done. If you can't get behind the metal to bump it out, drill the holes to let you screw in your dent puller, weld up the holes after spraying with weld thru primer and then use the body filler.

Trees

3,214 Posts
The previous posts are correct. Years ago, the filler was not the same. One of the things done to make sure it stayed was to drill the holes. The fillers used these days will adhere considerably better. It still should not be used to fill in large dents. They need to be pulled out as much as possible.

·
ASE Master
246 Posts
Did Ghost flames on my 34 coupe with the PPG camelion paint. Can hardly see them til the sun hits. Taped them off then used an air brush. Heavier around the tape and fogged real light. The idea is you don't want to see the stand out. The car was painted Royal blue so used blue camelion paint, which changes color in the light, silver,gold, purple, ect. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts