Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 36 ford five window coupe that i am getting ready to paint, i have found a color which is a new corvette color its called (Torch red), my question is since i'm not a pro. painter i would like to use a lacquer paint is there any area in so. calif. that has lacquer available most areas do not sell it any more.

·
8,453 Posts
Yes lacquer is illegal in Calif. No one can sell it and stay out of state prison. However , the new color/clear coat urethanes are so much better in every way than the old lacquers, why fight it?

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Lacquer paints will slowly be phased out in all states in a few years. California is just the leader when it comes to doing something to try and stop air pollution. As Willy36 stated, go for the new urethanes. As simple as lacquer and more forgiving. Drying times are longer and from start to finished is a longer process but you will be pleased with the outcome. Just try to spray in a relatively dust free area and take your time.

Kevin

·
Registered
99 Posts
Lacquer paint looks good no doubt but it's too brittle and chips easily. I have a v.w. that I painted with lacquer in 1986, it still shines great but the front of the car didn't hold up too well.(chips)The new urethanes look great and hold up to the weather. Plus a good painter has no problem completing a spot-blend repair if a panel gets damaged. :D

·
Registered
313 Posts
If you are really set on laquer, make a trip over into Nevada, everything is still legal there.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
laqueor ??????? did u say laquer? DONT paint it, man take advice of painter, its worst thing u could ever paint ur car with, besides krylon spray can. its real bad quality paint, incompatible with most newer paints.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:D Hay guys I did find out that lacquer is still available, you can get it in San Diego county Calif. That was going to be my first choice,but now i've decided to go with the more modern bc/cc you guys pretty much convinced me the error of my ways thanks. Ron..........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts