Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gotta paint question,sanblasted 69 camaro metal,coverd that with ppg epoxy,next up was ppg k36 sandable primer,next up ppg concept dcc,now here comes the questions;the paint store sent me on my way with what i thought to be fl 5096,a ford toreador red,the can says sc 5096,nissan,is it the same??and after mixing one quart and spraying this color,i knew something wasnt right,so i contacted another ppg supplier,they say the problem is i didnt use the proper tinted sealer which ppg says i must use;so someone please tell me what to do as far as sanding this down and getting this ready for the sealer,i already have made the mistake of hitting metal in some places,and how much of this color should i sand off,it is very hard to sand!!!

·
... & Insanity Ensues .....
933 Posts
do yourself a favor and STOP SANDING ... all you have to do is use 400 grit wetdry to rough the surface ... new paint sticks to week old paint like a DREAM. if you only hit metal in a few places, buy a quart of the primer they reccomend and reprime the bare spots then sand them w/ 400 also

Tinted sealers tend to help with coverage, because instead of painting red ove a grey primmer, your laying red over another shade of red, but unless your dcc basecoat is almost see through, it shouldnt throw you off to far, and extra coat or 2 of basecoat will give you the extre coverage you need

now as for the color, go back to the store and tell them you want the RIGHT paint this time, if the color is like WAAAY the heII off, its their fault, and id basicly tell them you want it free

depending on how their mixing system works, they could have looked up "5096" and came up w/ 6 different car brands that use that paint code, they picked the wrong one and it just happened to be red also.

ive seen the paint shop send over the right code# but for the wrong brand of car and we wind up getting silver instead of blue like its supposed to be

found some info here for you ... http://www.autobodystore.com/cgi-bin/bbs2/webbbs_config.pl?noframes;read=7950

ford toreador red is also a mazda and a nissan color, but there are a number of different "varients" ... and it sounds like you got the farthest varient from what u were looking for, letters in ppg paint codes, such as fl and the sc usualy denote WHICH varient it is and sometimes ppg also will have varients marked w/ stars .. and will read like 5096 fl, 5096fl* 5096fl** and the like

they probably gave you the "most common" version of the color or what they sometimes call the "best match" ... but thats assuming you already have a nissan painted that color ..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts