Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am restoring a 1969 Blazer and I want to re-paint the removable fiberglass top to a totally different color inside and out. Any suggestions on what the best product would be paint-wise? I'm assuming I will need to spray but on another forum a guy told me he did his top with gel-coat and basically brushed it on..said it flowed out like it was sprayed. I am skeptical but then again I am new to bodywork and paint and have zero experience working with fiberglass, so any recommendations or advice is welcome.

Jim

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Do you want to save the factory texture? There's a few different ways to tackle this depending on what you want it to look like when done. Bob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow didn't think it made a difference, so here's the situation, I have a smoothed single wall top off of a 72 Blazer and of course the original 69 double wall top which is still textured. I am really torn on which way to go, the single walled tops are more desirable because they are lighter but the double wall is overall in slightly better condition and will bolt right on (I would have to do some fabbing to the bedsides to get the single wall to mount correctly).

Is it easier to do one or the other from a painting perspective? This might weigh in on my decision of which one to go with.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
If you need to save the texture it'll require scuffing with a scotchbrite, sealing with a thin coat of epoxy primer, then carefull application of the color so you don't bury the texture. Another option is to sand it smooth, prime it then spray on a chip guard/gravel guard coating to mimic the factory texture, then paint.

Painting the smooth one is easy, sand, seal, then paint-but keep in mind these tops have quite a few waves and distortions that will show if you use a high gloss paint. A satin or flat would definately be the way to go IMO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts