Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
ProStreet620
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone at one time or another has painted a motor, but I have some questions. First, I would like to use an acrylic urethane on my motor. I used a Duplicolor fill primer on the heads and Duplicolor said I would have to experiment with other paints other than theirs to see if its compatible. I don't want to use spray bombs (although good results can be had) because the color I want is not in a can. Second a friend of mine (details and paints on the side) said I should have used an epoxy primer and that it would hold up to the heat. Third, I've heard pros and cons as to clearcoating a motor. Any info or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
61 Posts
depending on the color that you wants to use, your best bet is to use Por-15's engine enamel. they have 20 different colors and once dried it rock hard, withstands fuels and its so shiny that it looks like it was colored sanded and buffed. Thats just my opinion. i love the stuff. i also know that some basecoats may hold up to the heat but not many clear coats will. hope this helps.

·
ProStreet620
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I've heard of the Por15 engine paint, but I was planning on using a custom turquoise (a little extra white pigment in the color) basecoat/clearcoat on the body and wanted to do the motor also. I don't know if Por15 offers a turquoise. Its really close to the color that GM used back in the 60s(?).

·
Cox Custom Cars
498 Posts
Fordy8man said:
depending on the color that you wants to use, your best bet is to use Por-15's engine enamel. they have 20 different colors and once dried it rock hard, withstands fuels and its so shiny that it looks like it was colored sanded and buffed. Thats just my opinion. i love the stuff. i also know that some basecoats may hold up to the heat but not many clear coats will. hope this helps.

What makes you think that clear coat won't hold up to engine heat. Base coat as well as clear are all polyeurathanes. Ever put your hand on top of your car on a hot Texas summer day. It's too hot to touch and it doesn't effect the clear coat.

Do your homework before giving out advice....

Paint your engine with whatever brand and color you want. It will stand up to the heat for years to come.

Frank Cox
Cox Custom Cars
http://www.***************[/URL

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Fordy8man said:
know that some basecoats may hold up to the heat but not many clear coats will. hope this helps.
Not true, modern BC/CC systems are one of the most durable paints there is and will definitely hold up as engine paint far superior to anything else. I would choose it over POR15 any day of the week.

Vince

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
I've painted several hundred engines and in my experience it is the lacquer based rattle can "fill primer" that will fail.

I once painted a 3.8 turbo motor back in the eighties. Using the customers lacquer based paints. Wthin a month the entire engine was flaking paint and rust!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
it cost a little more money ,but if you want areal nice paint job on your motor ,prep motor super clean. use ppg epoxy primer and then come back with base coat clear. just another answer. :thumbup:

·
Registered
159 Posts
wildeman said:
I don't know if Por15 offers a turquoise. Its really close to the color that GM used back in the 60s(?).

Well, blue + green + white = turquoise, so you could mix your own. I saw on Kirker's website http://www.kirkerautomotive.com/html/gallery_home.asp (go ahead and scroll through, it's in there) where a dude took Mack Blue (medium dark navy blue), Mack Green (medium dark saturated green) and white, and mixed the 50s turquoise color perfectly for a 50s Lincoln. It's in there somewhere, along with a lot of other cool ideas.

So if you can get dark blue, green, and white POR-15 engine paint, you could mix your own turquoise. Or you could use the Kirker stuff too; the white is only like $42/ gallon and the blue and green are under $60 I believe. (Kirker "gallons" are really 3/4 gallon; you get a gallon sprayable @ 3:1 when you activate it.) And I have used the Kirker Ultra-Glo on a few projects (including a cheap quickie overall) and it's pretty damn decent. Edit- the cheap quickie overall is the Geo Tracker in my gallery. Color is Mack Green.

·
Registered
11 Posts
this motor was painted with ppg epoxy primer and base coat clear 5 yaers ago. it still look like new and has alot of run time on it. don't know about what they a bout ppg primer. i just know it works for me . painted a lot of motors and custom bike ,with no problems. to each his own i guess. ;)

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.