Hot Rod Forum banner

Painting a New Primered Plastic Bumper

465 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  jcclark
Checking to see if this would be the correct procedure for painting a New Primered Plastic Bumper
1 wash and dry
2 wetsand w/1200 to scuff
3 Seal with sealer primer
4 2-3 coats base
5 1-2 coats clear
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,858 Posts
That will work.
On new bumpers that are already primed, I just wash with Dawn soap and a red scuff pad. Rinse, dry, bulldog, then paint.
Color and clear.

Is it for show, or just daily?
The only reason I don't wet sand bumpers, is because I don't want to break through that black primer. But if you want a super slick job, you can wetsand for sure.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That will work.
On new bumpers that are already primed, I just wash with Dawn soap and a red scuff pad. Rinse, dry, bulldog, then paint.
Color and clear.

Is it for show, or just daily?
The only reason I don't wet sand bumpers, is because I don't want to break through that black primer. But if you want a super slick job, you can wetsand for sure.
Just daily..Bulldog is the sealer ??

· The Penny Pincher
2,072 Posts
Bulldog will help with adhesion to help make the bumper get less road rash, it also is good
if you used a red scuff pad first because it levels the scratches, the red is about 360 grit,
a little to coarse for metallics and the Bulldog will fill them.
I have done it that way for years but now I just use a sealer coat of epoxy primer after the red pad.
The epoxy greatly increases adhesion and I've seen it really lessen future road rash tremendously.
The epoxy comes in white and black so I can mix them to get the color I want to help the color cover.
And the epoxy doesn't have to be sanded if painted within a few days of priming and
fills scratches really good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts