Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to hear some opinions on painting a cast aluminum intake manifold.Is there a paint from a spray bomb that will stick good ,withstand heat and withstand engine cleaners/degreasers?

I also have to finsh the TPI tubes,fuel rails,....

Thanks,Pugsy

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Painting aluminum (or anything for that matter) is 99% preparation and 1% application. Making sure you have a clean, oil and grease free surface will go a long way to the longevity of any paint job. Most of your spray bomb engine paints will live just fine as you have mentioned if you get the surface prepped correctly.
Mark

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,617 Posts
You can purchase aluminum prep products from auto paint supply houses. Its an orange etching compound that you spray on, leave it a litle bit, then hose off. It helps paint adhere. I use in on aluminum boat hulls since they're so smooth its tough to get anything to stick.

The rough casting of the aluminum will hold paint really well, unless you're really scrubbing on it frequently. I've had really good luck just cleaning a new intake with soap and water, then using engine paint. Its designed to hold up to high heat and chemicals.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If you have an engine rebuild shop near you call and ask how much they'd charge to dip the intake in their solvent tank for a while? You do NOT want the intake hot tanked as that runs the risk of warping the intake.

But a solvent bath would be fine for it.

Even after doing this when I got it back I'd still wash it with soap and water to remove any possible residue left behind.

The intake on the 350 in my 150 Handyman 2-door Wagon has been painted the entire 18 years I've owned the Wagon. My buddy painted it when he owned the Wagon.

·
Garage Filler
324 Posts
I painted the engine in my truck 3 months ago (including an aluminum intake) with single stage paint. The engine was out of the truck and cleaned. No paint issues what so ever.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Even Wal-Mart sells an aluminum primer in a spray can. After a very through cleaning I used it on a Performer manifold several years ago and painted it with engine paint. Still looks good! :)

·
Chasing dreams with a ball bat
545 Posts
Powder coat it!

Get a used oven , put it in your garage (can't bake powder in the house - toxic!)
Buy a cheap powder coat kit from harbor freight tools.
Powder from Eastwood auto or wherever.

Works great, faster than paint and dry, more resistant to heat and chemicals, more durable.

I powder coat all my little parts instead of painting. It's so simple. :D

·
Garage Filler
324 Posts
hotrodf1 said:
Powder coat it!

Get a used oven , put it in your garage (can't bake powder in the house - toxic!)
Buy a cheap powder coat kit from harbor freight tools.
Powder from Eastwood auto or wherever.

Works great, faster than paint and dry, more resistant to heat and chemicals, more durable.

I powder coat all my little parts instead of painting. It's so simple. :D
What he said! :cool:

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Powder coat sounds good.Does it come in a high gloss? I'd like to get my TPI looking something like this. Not sure of colour but the gloss looks great. :thumbup:

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses guys.I got it powder coated hammertone grey and it came out quite nice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts