Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my engine stripped down and I cleaned the block right down to the metal it is very clean.

Now my question is: Do I have to use a primer before engine enamal paint?or
Can I use bc/bb paint?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HemmiGremmie

HemmiGremmie said:
Ive just always used a good hi temp paint, but maybe Im doing it wrong to. Hg
That's what I was going to do but the high heat paint only comes in a few colors, where BC/CC comes in so many different applications it's endless.
but that's why I'm asking to find out as much as I can. Thanx for the reply to my question.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Autozone carries Hightemp paint in all sorts of flavors. I painted my block Daytona yellow. I used a high heat primer, then a high heat yellow. And I shot on a high heat clearcoat to help protect the yellow from chemicals and whatnot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I heard of some paint it's called jb weld paint/primer its grey and it is used to seal steal when welding you spay first then weld the 2 pieces of metal together and it is suposed to stop rust and other things, now it also says its a primer.

Does anyone know anything about this stuff?

·
Registered
14 Posts
engine paint

johnny5 I've only used the weld through primer for what it is intended for but you can check out the engine paint at "por15"or "Eastwood" they both have web sites and a lot of engine colors . I have used both and am very pleased with all their paints .You can also consider powder coating but price is high unless this is a "show car" and it warrants the cost since it could be as high as $600 or so for just the block . Keep in mind that bc/cc is not high temp . Hope this helps.

·
Im trying to have an idea!
380 Posts
then what do they use on the cars on the tely when they paint the blocks and drive em around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.