Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 350 SB engine stripped down, just the bare block now and I used a drill with various steel brush attachments. Now the block is very clean and ready to be painted.

My question is: Do I need a primer first because it's right down to the metal? And can I use bc/bb paint on the block?

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
Paint it just like you would the car. Epoxy primer, BC/CC catalyzed urethane. Will withstand any chemical you throw at it (except stripper!) and all but the hottest parts of the engine. Exhaust X-over may degrades, although it hasn't gone bad on my Chrysler yet in 5 years. Powder coating is the Cadillac finish.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
your saying I don't need a primer even if I use bc paint?

what about the heads, I know that they get hotter than the engine block?

·
CLICK ON MY AVATAR
321 Posts
I would like to paint my heads too.Can someone walk me thru the procedure.(new dart heads).thanks bm

·
Registered
120 Posts
no rocket science here guys. Just use laquer thinner and wipe EVERY CROOK AND CRANNY down and make sure it is clean and oil free. Prime it. Then paint it! I use Plasticote paint out of a rattle can with good results. Its all in how clean you can get the cast iron.

The paint will look terrible on the rough casting if you don't prime!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ktaves1971

Let me get this straight you first have to prime (what type of primer) before the paint(bc/cc)?
Because I talked to other friends and they said you do not have to prime. Thanks for taking the time to read this JM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts