Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
30 Ford 5 Window
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like some feedback on this please...

I recently just heard/learned that you can paint chrome and stainless and not have it quickly peel ........just by scuffing it up with 600 grit or a ScotchBrite pad.... and then washing it down with common household vinegar and spraying with the paint as soon as it's dry..........

I got this from a guy who painted his bumpers on a 50' Merc... they have been painted for at least 3 years now that I know of....and they have yet to peel.

Any experiences with this method????????????

thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
If your chrome is pretty much worn off and faded, paint will probably stick pretty well...........the better the chrome, the less it will stick. Why would anyone want to paint over chrome, unless it is all faded and worn out?

·
30 Ford 5 Window
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it all started out back with his continental kit ring and went awry from there... The stainless band on his continental was brand new...,and his bumpers were perfectly good.

If I can get a picture from him I'll post it. Car is put away for winter right now, or I'd just go snap a few myself. Overall on that merc...it looks pretty cool mono-colored.

I have a replacement windshield frame for my Model A that came made of stainless... it just don't fit with the "rat rod" look....

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just painted my bumpers lime green and they came out awesome!

they were a mess. 1st I ground off and roughed up as much of the old chrome I could with a angle grinder......

Straightened, hammered, twisted all dents out the best I could .......

SPI epoxy-ed.....

Bondoed, 36 grit sanded on air board sander, 80 grit sanded, 100 it sanded, ....w block

poly filled....sanded, sanded, sanded,

Shot 2 coats color, then 3 coats clear, wet sanded out runs....

Buffed to perfection, then installed bumpers. Took picture.

http://www.microcar.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=5027

·
Registered
192 Posts
im probably going to have to paint my door vent window frames since they are all primered over....only difference is, i will be using chrome paint from duplicolor so it will look decent until i can afford to get them re chromed for real or buy new ones.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
painting chrome

45 -50 years ago i had a custom 53 cheyv 6 with a lot of jimmy truck parts, it was faster than the ford flatheads in highschool I bought primer from the paint supplier made for chrome then followed with primer and color. I don't know if it is still available

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.