Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are in the middle of stripping the paint on my car to repaint, but a slightly different color.We're pulling doors etc. to get these areas prepped properly for paint, but the firewall raises some questions. Don't want to take out the engine, and the area in question is only about 1ft by 2ft behind the engine. I was wondering about degreasing it,scuffing with a scuff pad, then using a flat or satin black such as J.D. blitz black with a rattle can, so it would be easy to touch up.The rest of the under hood area is gloss black, exterior is candy red over pearl ivory white.Anybody got any other ideas,for us to "cheat" a little in this area but still look presentable? thanks for any ideas, Jim

·
Glad the Jeep is on the road
809 Posts
My son did ours with POR 15 and a brush, looks great.... not show, but very nice for transportation....

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Spraying will be a bit tricky. How about buying a can of Jon Deer Blitz Black and brushing it onto the firewall? This way you wont get any runs and it'll be more controlable. Spray Cans tend to work kinda sketchy. POR 15 is gonna cost ya about $95 a gallon but probably last a lifetime. Again, brushing it on would be my advice.

Mike

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking a flatter black on the firewall would look a little sharper than a gloss black such as on the heater ductwork.People might not realize that it wasn't supposed to be different from the body color if it was painted different thanthe glossy parts. Brushing regular paint worry's me. I do have a quart of POR15 but gloosy again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts