Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a couple of customs that the tail lights do not show under the paint until the brake lights illuminate. Once the lights go out the surface looks like a painted surface/fender. How is this done and does it eventually cause the paint to bubble or change?

·
Banned
5,557 Posts
One way it is done-

The lens is bonded to a fitted hole in the body panel with the lens nearly flush, then the lens is block sanded the rest of the way flush with the panel after drying of the bonding adhesive. If you buy a kit for this, it will probably come with a thick lens for an LED strip to snap onto. Anyway, prime and block then final sand as usual but just until the lens is clean.

If spraying a base / clear... mask the lens if using sealer (fine line tape for the edge) and go light on it in around that spot. Depending on the color, say its a four coat job, maybe skip the first color coat (keep it masked) but with most colors the light will make it through with full color over it. Yep even black. If you're worried about getting a ticket, explore other options.

Making any remaining edge go away is done like any flame or stripe job thats flat on the surface... an extra clear application and sanding. Even without that they can look alright. Its really cool I think.

I can probably come up with pics of this (not sure if I have process pics, maybe a couple finished) if you like I can put them up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that really helps, first car I saw it on was years ago on a Henry j custom in Madison WI, then a couple of more times recently. With it being LEDs then the heat should be low heat.

·
Banned
5,557 Posts
Unfortunately I don't think I have pics of any that have color over them. Maybe the truck. My bad. Have seen it done, just wasn't something I worked on myself. But you get the idea from these. Your kit might be best bedded to the body directly, or there may be a bracket which holds the lens also. Test your color first on a 2 liter bottle or something clear to see how well light travels through.

That was steel, this was fiberglass.

Wouldn't matter much with this color-

I got the tailgate shadow right in the wrong spot, lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.