Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm not 100% sure of your question so I will answer this way...
BC/CC or Single Stage will hold up just fine on an engine block assuming you have done all the prep work correctly. If you are asking about using an uncleared base then I would not recommend it, the base is designed to be sealed with clear. When I build the hemi for my Plymouth truck project I will prime the block with Epoxy and then base/clear the engine to match the body color. I like the epoxy because I think it has the best adhesion of any primer and will still seal the metal even if the top coat gets scratched.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
painting block

thanks for the information. I have one more question. I have a harbor freight bottom feed spray gun for my epoxy primer, and primer filler. I have a Itawa 400 HVLP for my base coat and clear. My question is which gun do I need to use to spray the primer sealer? Primer gun has 1.7 tip and BC CC has a 1.3 tip.

·
Registered
109 Posts
"thanks for the information. I have one more question. I have a harbor freight bottom feed spray gun for my epoxy primer, and primer filler. I have a Itawa 400 HVLP for my base coat and clear. My question is which gun do I need to use to spray the primer sealer? Primer gun has 1.7 tip and BC CC has a 1.3 tip."

Either gun will work although some people would choose not to spray any primer or sealer through their clear gun. If it were me I'd use the HF gun for the sealer, but then again if it were me I would not bother with sealer if I had already primed the block with epoxy. I like to use a thinned (10%) epoxy as sealer and on a casting that is not all that smooth I probably wouldn't even bother thinning the epoxy. Prime with epoxy let set overnight and then spray base and clear. If you are planning on a urethane primer to fill and smooth some of the casting you still really don't need sealer as long as the primer is a uniform color. My 2 cents...

·
Registered
327 Posts
I would make sure the block is EXTREMELY clean.. You don't want to loose adhesion because you missed grease or oil..

Spray a coat or 2 of epoxy, let it sit all night then base clear the next day..
or single stage whatever you prefer..

Epoxy is definetely the correct way to go..

Basically as everybody stated here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.