Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some one back into my 03 Silverado and I'm replacing the extended cab doors, since they are a different color, I need input into what I sould do to prepare them for paint. Also I like using epoxy paint with a hardener but would this match the existing paint with out a clear coat?. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Without knowing all the details, this is my opinion: If the current paint is in good condition... Clean it very well, sand with 800 and red scuff pad, base coat and clear it. Any sand throughs will need to be covered with primer, so don't sand through.

Color will not match - black you might get away with it. Color will need to be blended to the adjacent colors.

Use base/clear. Since it is an 03, you might be able to use a single stage. Let us know what color you have. Since you are asking these questions, I assume you are not looking for a professional job.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that more or less answered my question and I would use the same color ( pewter ) that is on the rest of the truck but epxy and and hardener would not match the body with out the clear?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Any paint used most likely will not match. Close? Maybe. Unless you are using paint from the same can the truck was painted with, it's not going to match to be a quality job.

·
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW
2,857 Posts
Just a hint LOL ,Many base coats are hot and can wrinkle or play havoc with some clear coats (There is that chance) so I would advise sanding off the clear coat and epoxy primer or seal the parts and then base coat and clear coat them or use a single stage acrylic enamel which matches your color ! But like mentioned matching color and gloss will be hard (on a 13 yr old paint job) unless your paint store is very good!! Its a lot of work but pays dividends in the end with a quality job :thumbup:

Jester (Chris)

·
Grand Prix user
5,344 Posts
Pewter on an 03 GM truck or SUV is a spray-sensitive color due to it's metallic effect. That means depending on how it is sprayed, the darkness can vary quite a bit. Best to have lots of color blending room for a spot repair on that particular color.

·
Automotive Extraordinaire
1,278 Posts
Ahhhh, good ole code 382, that stuff is a pain to blend even for those of us that do this everyday. As IDJ said, leave yourself plenty of room to blend into the adjacent panels. I also recommend driving the truck to the local paint store, or at least take a panel with the correct color and choosing the closest "alternate" color that matches. There are several variants (slightly different shades) of that color depending on when and where the truck was painted.

Kelly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts