Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Just a firefighter
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm still working on my '46 Chevy Panel truck and I just painted the firewall area yesterday. Have to admit for the first time it came out really good. Well anyway the color of the truck is going to be "Emergency -One" fire truck fleet red.(cause I r a firefighter) Well I got looking at it last nite and thought that is going to be one BIG, BRIGHT red blob running down the road. I looked for awhile, thinking and looked at the panels moulded in the sides and rear doors along with the grille. I was planning on painting that already. Well what I decided to do is paint the grille, side and rear panels a dark purple, mid-night blue/black or a dark maroon kinda color, I haven't picked one yet. My question is how do I need to do that? Do I paint the body all red first then over lay the other or do I have to paint the body the second color first and tape off the panel areas? Or could I get away with painting the panels alittle beyond the edges and taping, resanding and paint the rest of the body? I know this is a long question but this is my first automotive paint job so I need to ask alot to make sure I do it right.

Thanks guys :D

·
Registered
533 Posts
It's good you're thinking about it first Bluepen!! I have panel painted both ways, the whole vehicle, then mask and paint panels, as well as paint with panels masked, then do panels. I like painting w/panels masked as you will have less paint film when done- Less paint film= less chance of orange peel, less chance of cracking due to too thick of film. You can mask right to the edge and clear it all if you're doing BC/CC or stripe the edge if single stage. Base/Clear will give it depth and look super cool!!! Hope this helps you!! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts