Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Newskool
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my radiator into the rad shop the other day. Picked it up today. I had them clean it all out and fix the top coolant bar because it was broken right off. I also had them clean up my REALLY rusty fuel sending unit. Turns out the sending unit is toast but will still pick up fuel. So Im keeping it anyway.

I want to paint my radiator though. How should I got about doing this? Should I just use plain old spraypaint or will I need something that will resist some heat? What kind of prep work should I do? This isnt a supper high quality car or anything. Its just a highschool students daily driver.

·
Banned
30 Posts
you dont want to paint the fins only the side brackets and the tanks if you paint the fins it will retain heat. Unless there is a special paint out now that i dont now about a a oldschool guy that knows otherwise

·
Banned
30 Posts
i have a 34 ford flat bed with a 327 and it would overheat and could never figure it out. electric fan, new water pump, thermo stat, and sending unit. after all that i pulled the radiator and took it to get recored turns out i just had to have the paint stripped off. runs fine now

·
Newskool
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I may just paint the side then. The fins are kind of beat up though and I would really like to paint them as the paint is flaking.

I just want it a plain black. Anyone know of a good kind of paint for this?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just my .02...but back when the shops would rod out the radiator, mine always would come back fully painted, fins and all...also, every recore I have had done, came back fully painted as well. Never had any issues with them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
topdogger said:
I think I may just paint the side then. The fins are kind of beat up though and I would really like to paint them as the paint is flaking.

I just want it a plain black. Anyone know of a good kind of paint for this?

Pick up a set of fin pliers and a 6 pack and straighten them out. I've tried the "combs" but never were able to make them work well.

I'd just buy cheap semi-gloss black

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
A thin coat to covering of your favorite shade of black lacquer will not hurt a thing. If a .001 to .0015 coat of paint lowers the heat transfer on that radiator enough to cause you an issue, there are other isssues needing to be addressed. Straightening the fins is always a good idea as well.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Rick WI said:
A thin coat to covering of your favorite shade of black lacquer will not hurt a thing. If a .001 to .0015 coat of paint lowers the heat transfer on that radiator enough to cause you an issue, there are other isssues needing to be addressed. Straightening the fins is always a good idea as well.
I agree. Only use enough paint to cover though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.