Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
tryn to learn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well since the search engine has not worked all day for me to search on this topic i thought i would post a thread.

i got some rims and some "dupli color high performance wheel coating" paint and clear cote. how do i prep the rims so they look good after? the rims are chiped up pretty bad.

i attached a picture of one of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
you paint rims the same way you paint anything else. You have to smooth it all out, sand and paint. Your best bet would be to get them sand blasted, I am assuming they are steel. after they are sandblasted you can get the holes and chips filled and smootened with a type of epoxy, Almost the same thing they do frames with after they are sandblasted. then paint them what ever color your little heart desires.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
If you have someone around you that powdercoats that would be a good route,get them cleaned up real good,there are so many colors out there now.Benefits are smooth even coverage,chip resistance and probably less likely to fade with wheel cleaners,brakedust or ice removal products used on roads.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
From having to sandblast both paint and powdercoating I can tell you that powdercoating is a lot more durable and will last you much longer than the paint.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Those are ALLUMINUM wheels.
They will sand smooth very easily.
After sanding spray them with oven cleaner for 5-10 min (watch closely) then rince off.
The surface will be well etched for painting.
OR, to make them realy kick polish them with some Mother's mag polish and they'l shine like mirrors

·
tryn to learn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jzarczyn said:
Those are ALLUMINUM wheels.
They will sand smooth very easily.
After sanding spray them with oven cleaner for 5-10 min (watch closely) then rince off.
The surface will be well etched for painting.
OR, to make them realy kick polish them with some Mother's mag polish and they'l shine like mirrors

i am looking for a cheap way to do these rims, i got them from a junk yard for $60. they are just gona be on my car for a year or so till i get some cragers i got my eyes on.

the one rim i sanded down to bare metal with a wire brush and then sanded with a 80 grit on my DA sander.

when u say "to make them realy kick polish them with some Mother's mag polish and they'l shine like mirrors" do u mean on the bare metal/aluminum? will they rust out on me?

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Aluminum will not rust,period,oxidize yes,rust,no.You will not make those rims shine like a mirror just by applying mag polish,they are cast aluminum,not polished,you may clean them up,but you will never make them shine.Polished aluminum is where you get your shine from unless they are plated.Cast aluminum is exactly what it says,after they casdt the wheel it is painted,or left in its current form

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
yes use primer if you're going to paint them... personally I wouldn't. Paint doesn't give you the durability that it needs to, and those wheels will look like dog dirt in about 1500 miles or less. Do it right the first time and powder coat them. Not to be rude about this, but unless you're good with paint and sanding, its going to look ghetto.

K

·
tryn to learn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the rims were only 60 bucks (like 40 US) and they are only going to be used for a little while and the car will not be driven on the road in the winter.

how much does it cost to powder coat rims? i just dont really see it worth it, but maybe if its cheap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts