Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to paint coil and leaf springs on my project. I've been using PPG ALK200 paint for the frame and other pieces. Will this work on springs, or will it flake off? Is there a flex additive I can use, like in those paints used on polymer panels and bumpers?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump. I guess I could use another brand of paint. Can anyone recommend a good paint for springs? Help ! I don't want to repaint in 3 months...Thanks.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I was under the impression that the powdercoat will flake off when the spring is under compression. Does it have flexability? The DP 40...is that a PPG product?

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
I would a polyurethane like Imron for springs.

·
Hammer King
29 Posts
If you can get some Imron, use it. The stuff is bullet proof. Well, bullet resistent (I've tried it). I have painted plenty of trains with Imron it holds up better than anything else.
Not the easyest paint to work with. But REAL strong.
Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
I powder coat coils and leaf springs. On Leaf springs the coating acts like spring liners, gives a nice slick spring but is tougher and slicker than poly or teflon. No chance of it ever flaking off, trust me. In fact I haul the entire chassis and running gear down to the coating shop when I have all my work done. Powder coat everything that isn't nailed down, including the entire exhaust system downstream of the headers! Even going to powder coat the fender wells on my '53 Chevy pickup when I get the holes all filled.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts