Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The trunk panel I am using to replace my damaged one is a junkyard part. I would like the inside part to match the external part. It seems too intricate to sand. How should I go about refinishing it? Can I spay it with a DuPont Sealer and then paint over it or do I have no choice but to sand it?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
bead blast it or use a wire brush then seal it and paint it. I recomend the blasting, its easier, less marring, and it gets all those hard to reach places. you can get a handheld blaster for under $50 that you just hook up and air hose poor in your abrasive and spray, its cheap it works and its reusable.

Faust

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After I bead blast, can I use the DuPont Epoxy Primer as a sealer? Or should I go out and get the DuPont Vevia (Wrong spelling) sealer that requires no catalyst?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The epoxy primer is it a primer/sealer, or just a primer? Not familiar with dupont paints. I use PPG products, DuPont isn't available here.

If its just primer, go out and buy a sealer, primers are thin and porus and will not seal the metal as needed. A sealer is thick and will/can protect against prolonged exsposure to the elements.

Faust

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Listen to this.............I told the guy in the supply shop I was using DuPont Centari and he gave me an Epoxy Sealer and catalyst made by PPG. It's DP402. I didn't realize this until I got home. Did this guy give me the wrong stuff?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Heeeeeeeey Jack, not sure where you are. Try the Snap-on man, or your local paint shop/supply house like lows or home depot. I bought mine from a autobody repair supply house, I'll go to the shop tomorrow and get the number for you, along with a few other supply books you should get, they are free, so why not havem in the shop, hehe

Faust

1 - 7 of 7 Posts