Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
623 Posts
Hey Eddie- you've planned it well- I'd use more primer, but priming the whole thing is a good idea, although they were correct in telling you if the paint is good, you don't have to prime it all- just the areas you worked. If you are sealing it the color will be the same. (The color could look different if you didn't get it all primed a single color.) Depending on sealers, you have to sand or not- read tech sheets to find out. I like to lay the primer on thick and wet sand the snot ot of it to get it really smooth. I like to shoot a light 'tack' coat, then a good thick one- then touch up as needed- usually two coats of clear is enough. As to quantity- If you're using HVLP you'll have way enough- if standard gun you should still be okay if you don't do under hood, trunk, jambs, etc. Good luck- take your time and wear a respirator! :cool:

[ May 13, 2003: Message edited by: Dragon J ]</p>

· Registered
623 Posts
Your welcome, Eddie- No you really do not have to seal if the entire car is primed. But I would IF you have a lot of bodywork and the primer doesn't seem too thick after the wet sand. Sealing basically does just that- seal the bodywork, welds, bondo, old paint, etc. from your color coat. If you have differences: like old paint and primer showing, the color could be inconsistent. If all is properly primed you'll be set to go! Good Luck!! :cool:

· Registered
623 Posts
As you can see Eddie, opinions are like bellybuttons- everybody has one! I guess that makes a for a fun world that is different! My sources say ( and history has been) that primer primes the surface for paint. It helps promote adhesion. Sealer seals the substrate. Yes, a sealed job will last longer. If you paint following correct flash and dry times you will NOT have a problem. Every time I have seen pinholing from evaporation it was due to improper dry time. This again is MY opinion, not the reason in every case. Weigh your options and billfold and make decisions from the manufacturer's tech sheets. This was not stated to offend anyone- just trying to help... Good Luck Eddie! :cool:

· Registered
623 Posts
(again my opinion only!) If you want it super smooth and to last a long time and money doesn't realy come into the issue- YES by all means seal it. If you are on a tight budget and it's just a daily driver, you really don't NEED to if it is primed well. Price your materials and do it the best you can afford. Take your time and post when you're done as we'd love to see it!! :cool: and p.s.- different paint manufacturers will recommend a sealer- it depends on the company/quality/cost. I would recommend a basecoat/clearcoat system as I think you would have good success with it. enjoy!

[ May 14, 2003: Message edited by: Dragon J ]</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.