Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably about a week away from starting my painting project, but i have seen conflicting information on various parts of the web as well as coming from my local auto paint supply store..

I was told at the paint store to only primer the areas where i performed body work, and then seal the entire car, then apply my color coat and then my clear...

he said i would be safe just sealing the factory paint and then shooting the color.. does that make sense? the car is a 93 with factory paint..

i thought the process was body work, prime the entire car, sealer, color, then clear?

the steps i was going to perform were:

1. complete body work and dry sand smooth with 100 grit sand paper.

2. apply primer to entire car and wet sand smooth with 400 grit sandpaper. (how many coats of primer should i apply?)

3. apply sealer over primer (how many coats? do i wet sand here?)

4. apply color coats (3).

5. apply clear coats (3).

6. wet sand with 2000 grit sandpaper.

7. buff entire car.

thats my plan in a nutshell.. any suggestions?

also, i was planning on purchasing a gallon of primer, sealer, color, and clear for my project.. will this be enough for a pretty decent sized car?

thank you all for your patience,

Eddie

[ May 12, 2003: Message edited by: Eddie N ]</p>

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the expertise! my game plan is about %90 solidified at this point..

but, i was reading through halloweenkings turtotial on prep work, and i noticed that he recomends sealing before priming.. i'm assuming there is no right or wrong way to do this, and that everybody has their own style and ways of doing things.. is this a safe assumption? or does it depend on what brand of paint you are using?

thank you both for the positive encouragement..

Eddie

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
excellent!!

at this point i plan on priming the entire car, and if the cost of sealing it isnt too bad i'll go for that too.. the only thing that worries be about it is that its just another potential thing for me to possibly screw up... :)

one last question, again :) .. can i use regular body filler on polyurethane parts like bumpers?

thanks again,

Eddie

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i'm confused again! ha! i'll get it eventually... once i buy my gun i'm going to go back and harass the guys and the paint supplier a little more.. they love it when i pick their brains for a few hours at a time!! just kidding.. i'll buy some cheap paint and practice on my beater..

thanks,

Eddie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.