Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i decided to sand to bare metal the hood of my car. Im not sure what paint i will need to use. Can anyone guide me in the right direction? I live in an area with limited stores around, really not even sure if any sells automotive paints besides in spray cans. What primer/sealer base/clear should i use as far as brand and where can i get them?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
What vehicle are you working on? Does it currently have a BC/CC paint? If so, I suggest you try to find out what paint jobbers are located nearby. Check with the local body shops to see where they get their paint, that should give you an idea. Once you find a local jobber talk to them and get their specific suggestions on which of their primers you should use. That will help.

Initially I suggest an epoxy primer over the bare metal followed by any filler that is needed then a good filler/primer and depending on what paint line you use, possibly a sealer before the BC/CC. I'm sure some of our pros will have suggestions as well.

Centerline

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I stripped the paint down to bare metal with a 60g sand paper. Then i sanded it with 150g followed by 320g to smooth it all. I used a grease/wax remover and then tacked the whole thing. After that I used a grey primer with 2 coats. Then i sanded lightly with 400g to smooth. Then i applied the sealer 2 coats. Everything looked nice then. Next i applied the color with 2 coats and seemed to have covered nice. Then i sprayed the clear lightly and then a full coat as directed for the manufactures directions. After spraying the full coat, it looks kinda foggy. Did i do something wrong or am i just not done yet? I understand in the end i will need to sand and buff it all out and what not but i just dont think it should look that way only in spots.

All supplies where made by Dupli-Color paints.

-Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts