Hot Rod Forum banner

What paint do you like to use or think is the best?

• Acrylic Lacquer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Acrylic Enamel

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Urethane or poly urethane

Votes: 22 71.0%
  • 2 pak

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other - Please specify

Votes: 4 12.9%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEy
Sorry forgot to add this in the last post. SOrry to mods. Whats your choice out of paints?

·
Administrator
18,437 Posts
BC/CC..................except for the expence. I gotta get a couple of those HVLP guns..................

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
tc33 said:
Glassurit. Wears like iron, won't chip
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My kind of guy!!!

Only words I see on here is omni and nason and I gag every time!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Break! Since we are talking paint,can someone help and find me the PPG formula for the famous Le Mans Blue? Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
BarryK said:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My kind of guy!!!

Only words I see on here is omni and nason and I gag every time!

THANK GOD.... man I am a standox kind-o-guy myself.... HOk if a kandy.. I mixed my own with Standox with LOTS of transparent additive.. BUT.. standox has such a high hiding ability..(GARENTEED Max 2 coast on Base...)

Its like a painter going in to the mecanics section and going "Is a autozone brand blower going to work as good as Dick Landy..." kinda frustrating..

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Standox is an excellent base!
Of course its the same thing as Spies just a different name all owned by the Herbert's Paints until sold to DuPont.

My opinion of best bases:

Spies
Standox
glassurit
Debeers
ICI
Belco (if still around)
Global (at bottom of this list but good stuff)

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Opinions on Diamont please

applications are insurance jobs - cars going to the crusher soon

sales pitch is more-better color coverage base coat with "much" less paint than Omni???

anybody tried their "primer-filler" combo?

thanks

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hey, Onmi is a fine paint. You just have to define what end result you want or need. My flatbed trailer and the front loader will be fine with Omni - single stage, most likely. On the other hand, it is pretty unlikely that my '56 Studie will ever see any. I freely admit to even using Rayflex off eBay on my motorhome but it needed to be painted NOW and will still see quite a bit of body work. Down the road a bit, it will recieve better paint.
You just have to decide: is it a beater, a nice cruiser or will you be in those shows where you drive on the grass past an audience in tuxedos?
Match you paint to the job

That being said, the base coat/clear coat system is my default.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts