Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 350/400 turbo from 1984 c20 that I will put in a ton and half 1937 truck. By all accounts a tight fit and I want to change to a short water pump. Stock power steering and delco alternator ( no air or smog). Is there someone who has done this and knows the mounts, pulleys, and layout of steering pump and alternator that would work for me. I tried searching forum but couldn't find info. This is my first build and any help would be appreciated. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the good link. I'll try calling their tech dept/guy on Monday. Maybe they can set me straight on the pulleys and harmonic changes that might be needed to use a new short water pump with their brackets and my stock alternator and power steering.
Anyone out there been thru this that can give me advice would be helpful.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
You'll probably talk to Bill, you won't need to change the harmonic damper and the pulleys are readily available, stock, chrome steel, aluminum whatever your heart......and wallet desires. Make sure you get a GOOD wtr. pump that has a captured impellar, flows much more water. Look at the stage 1 or 2 Stewart and get a 16 lb. radiator cap.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like brackets are readily available. Now I just need the pulley situation for my water pump, alternator, and power steering. Hopefully the tech guys at one of these sites can keep me straight. I will make a trip to the only local pick/pull yard but I won't hold my breath. Their small and they crush quickly. :( Thanks again.

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
64-72 older trucks used short pump

but before 69 they used the ram gorn exhaust manifolds ot mount the steel lower bracket to the manifold bolt

69-72 were cast iron and only bolted to the cylinder head

so you would want this

but you could probably rig a 64-68 one

63 older were generator and wont do any good

the upper changed slightly also

the 64-68 were longer and arched more than the 69-72 ones

you would need pullies and all brackets and everything from a 69-72 or same year if older

not as easy of a thing ot convert to as going from short to long style

power steering was a million times different before 73

lower mounted and used the engine mount as well
in which also changed in 73

youll be doing some rigging because you have different engine mounts and such than what the short style p/s was made for

i would stick with long style if at all possible

bigger pump better flow

and no hassle

the balancer you shouldnt have to swap

the front face distance offset was same regardless of thickness of balancer

just different pullies

a 73-79 van style p/s may be a good option because it doesnt use the engine mount like the 72-older ones and it only uses the 64-72 iron cradle bracket and is made for the 73-up style exhaust manifolds it just uses the front manifold bolt only and the two engine block face bolt holes but mounts extrmeely low like the 72 older truck ones

64-68 style:

69-72 alt brackets:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! This is sounding a lot more complicated than I thought. I am going to pleasanton this Saturday (I'm new to big hot rod get togethers) I'm hoping the vendors may have the stuff available in one fell swoop that I need. Willing to use V belts or serpentine but I really want to save the 1 3/8 inch that the short pump affords . I am trying really hard to scrounge 3 to 4 inches of engine compartment that I can incorporate as leg room by firewall adjustment. Seat construction (height and back thickness and fire wall kick are all considered already) I really don't want to spend north of 60k and not fit comfortable in cab. :( Thanks for all the good information volunteered so far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.