Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
V8 Beetle & Hovercrafts
221 Posts
Most of the parts for the s10 chassis on my V8 beetle project ( www.v8beetleresource.com )either came from amazon or rockauto, along with some engine parts, etc.....

I've found amazon and rockauto to be the cheapest most of the time, lots of times you can get free shipping with amazon...

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys.

Sorry, I should have added this question to the original post: how do you like shopping for parts an Amazon, as compared to shopping for them on eBay? Is it easier or more troublesome?

A common complaint I hear about eBay is that there is a clutter of parts in the search results that has nothing to do with what a buyer are looking for. Is the same true for Amazon?

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
I have used amazon for accessories and got good service as well as some books and manuals..

Sam

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
4,781 Posts
I buy books from Amazon. They're usually very quick.
I've ordered on a Saturday and hed them by noon on the following Monday.

I'm currently expecting a delivery in February or March.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I live in a rather remote area so I use the web a great deal for buying tools and parts. And I always include a search at Amazon. But they are just one of many "vendors" I consider. In virtually every case I comparison shop by first doing a general Google search for the part number or name and then follow up searches at Amazon, Ebay, Rock, Summit, Speedway, Jegs, and Harbor Freight. Whoever has the best price (which ALWAYS must factor in shipping) gets my business. And in my experience that "best price" will vary depending on the item. Sometimes it will be at Amazon, sometimes Ebay, sometimes Rock and sometimes another vendor altogether.

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I agree with you all. The service is good and the delivery often times is very quick. And like many of you, I will also search through several vendors before deciding where to buy. I have never used Speedway or Rock, but will give them a look as well the next time I'm shopping.

I have been using the Amazon Prime (no relation to Optimus) membership for free this past year because I signed up for Amazon Student, and one of the perks is free 2nd day delivery. (If you are a college student with an email account through your school, sign up for Amazon Student. They may still be offering Amazon Prime for free for one year).

Their pricing is definitely competitive. I am getting ready to buy a fancy timing light (its a hit or miss with some of the Harbor Freight cheapies, and it was a miss this time). The one I am interested in is being sold at the local Autozone for $100+ tax. Amazon's got it for $72, + free 2nd day shipping through the Prime service.

Also, if you shop through Amazon often and have a rewards credit card with them (offered through Chase), the rewards points can save some money as well.

Aside from a K&N air filter, which I found by simply typing in the part number into the search box, I have never shopped for auto parts on Amazon. I am curious to see how efficient and helpful their search feature is, especially when compared to eBay. I will probably test it out soon using some generic search query.

As to shopping for manuals, I usually tend to compare prices between Amazon and Half.com, which is run by eBay. I personally have no problem buying used and have usually found better prices on Half.com

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
I bought a Radiator off Amazon for my CTS-V. Was the cheapest place for an OE replacement when free shipping was taken into account. Quick delivery and no issues with the part.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've bought everything from oil filters to speciality tools
from Amazon. Good pricing and fast shipping. I like the
complete description of the parts that Amazon gives.
Sometimes there's buyer feedback that's also useful.

I buy a lot from Summit and Rock Auto too.

·
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
919 Posts
But isn't Amazon just an outlet for vendors? I mean your not really buying from Amazon, right?

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Arrowhead said:
But isn't Amazon just an outlet for vendors? I mean your not really buying from Amazon, right?
Actually, unlike eBay, Amazon does sell alot of things too. The company originally began by selling books online. Now they seem to dabble in everything. I always try to buy directly from Amazon (as the seller) so i can get the free shipping.

Then there is also something called Amazon Fulfillment, where Amazon will keep a seller's inventory in it's own warehouse(s) and ship it out as items are sold. Not sure if that helps with free shipping though...

On a side note, it seems Amazon has revamped its website a bit this past week and it has a much cleaner look to it, with better-organized menu options.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
I've had very good luck with AMAZON especially if I factor in free shipping vs Summit plus whatever their current charge is (yeah, I know, it's called handling). In favor of Summit often, when you add the cost of the item and shipping vs AMAZON and free shipping the price can be very close. Summit usually has better delivery time and for sure, a better return policy.

Two items that I did well with lately - Hawk LTS brakes for my truck and some 2" coil spring spacers for the '31 when I went to 10" long instead of TCI's 12". Both were cheaper as well as free shipping. Rock Auto also 'rocks' :embarrass :D

Dave W

1 - 15 of 15 Posts