Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for a better way cut out for a patch panel. i`am doing door bottoms. i did one door allready. my first.hope to start the other door next weekend.thanks.no welding experience.just jumping in there.1962 gmc surburan

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I'll tell you what I do-I will make certain the Patch Panel first fits the contour of the Body (Panel Lines, right curvature,etc.), then I will use a Clecos (or Sheetmetal Screws) to hold it in the proper place-I use a thin cut-off wheel to make a slit so I can insert my air-powered Hacksaw. Then, I will saw about 3-5" (or more), make certain the Sheetmetal is flush, Spot Weld and move on until the Panel is Attached. If I have planned correctly, the old Panel will just fall inside of the Car-make sense?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
patch panel

that will not work because it is a inside door bottom and does not slide over to hold in place.thanks

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
hdbiker,

I am sorry, I didn't read that it was an Interior Panel. On mine, the inside Door Panel was curved to mate with the outer Door Skin. I'm certain there is a better way, but I made a "flexible shape pattern", located it on the Door, marked it and cut it just shy of the marked line, then snuck up to the line with my Roloc Discs and Files and then welded the inner Door Panel-maybe there is an easier way-hope this helps.

Here is a Link as to how to make a flexible shape pattern:

http://people.delphiforums.com/snotzalot/body/paperpatterns.htm

By the way, you are butt welding this-correct? Or, are you flanging it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts