Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to fill holes in the alumin body panels on my car?

Are there any special fillers that I should use?

The holes were drilled for an antenna in the past

I was thinking of learning how to use lead but if there is a better way I'd be interested

Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Polyester filler will work OK. I sometime use polyester filler to get good adhesion then use regular filler over that. It would be good to weld the holes up first.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The BEST would likely be a MIG set up for aluminum and weld them closed. Probably not a job for other than a pro welder or someone with a lot of aluminum experience.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips folks;

I just found out that my 1 car might be some sort of Aluminum alloy, and it appears to be a very limited edition car... so I don't know if It can be welded. Plus if someone who would rather restore it than rod it wants it I'd probably trade it for an all steel body.

I just found out that the Essex is 1 year older than I was told (1927), and made by Biddle & Smart.

I guess that I'll just have to work on my all steel 1928 Essex 3 window coupe first instead.

·
Ferguson Coachbuilding
388 Posts
There's nothing hard about working with aluminum if you know what you're doing! Your best bet is to find a reputable metal man in your area who has experience with thin guage aluminum. If you can find someone, he will be able to weld a patch in, metalfinish it, and you'll never know the hole was there. My suggestion would be to get on www.metalmeet.com and ask if there's one of our members in your area.

Randy Ferguson
Ferguson Coachbuilding
www.metalmeet.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts