Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crack around where the pipe goes into the flange. Can this be welded with any kind of long term success? Doesn’t seem like the best access for a weld and certainly would hinder flow. Unfortunately they are just out of warranty.

Attachments

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,267 Posts
I do it all the time. I have two others to on my list of junk right now. If it's welded on the insode then use a die grinder to clean it up and it its outside I just ignore it.

·
Registered
14,565 Posts
Cracking headers right here is fairly common this usually indicates some stress are building up. Aside from welding them up some things that can help are sawing the flange between tubes and if connected to a fully suspended exhaust system putting a length of overbred flex tube between collector and exhaust pipe. For competition with no system beyond tge header or competition header muffler make attachments to the transmission rather than frame to reduce different movements of chassis members from those of the engine and transmission.

Bogie

·
More for Less Racer
20,442 Posts
Dress the crack into a " V " will help keep it from coming back. Cutting disc on a Dremel, or a hard edge stone or carbide burr in same Dremel.

TIG weld would be absolute best, both inside and outside.
Silicon Bronze would be a good filler rod to resist cracking.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I see unsupported headers all the time , some have additional mufflers& pipes hanging off them , You must provide adequate , flexible support , otherwise they crack .....period .

·
Registered
1 Posts
The big question is why are you doing it? Most racing applications are to reduce radiated heat to other components because the packaging is so tight.

I used to wrap the headers on my race car to keep the bodywork from burning. Eventually I got the same results from gold foil on adjacent parts of the frame, a reflective shield with ceramic cloth backing for the bodywork, and ceramic coating of the header, plus a bit of aero to make sure that the cooling air goes where its supposed to go and has a good exit.

There are some benefits to wrapping turbos in heavy duty applications like big trucks and motorhomes, the turbos seem to be able to handle it better than headers.

Like a lot of other things tuners do, wraps to chase a horsepower here or there don't really matter. The average driver can't feel it or use it, and street applications have already taken radiant heat transfer into account.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,267 Posts
Found this today. I almost fixed it in the car but decided to take it off anyway and found the crank was about 320’s degrees around. The metal was so thin I couldn’t hardly fix it without blowing holes so for now, I spot filled it so a grinder and paint makes it look better.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts