Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had the 355 for a while, got most of the details figured out; but i have a problem.

when i rev the engine above 3000 rpm or so, i get smoke from burned oil. I have had someone confirm it as well. Just had the heads redone, intake manifold is on right.

I have an edelbrock 600 cfm carb with the pcv valve on the drivers side, and a breather on the other. I just now realized that it doesn't make sense. Should i only have a pvc valve so that air doesn't get sucked through the breather, through the engine, and into the carb???

Its i really build 355, 7000rpm redline says the cam, mechanical lifters, 11.5:1 CR, dual exahust.

I only get the oil smoke at high rpm's, and the spark plugs verify it. Is there a change it would be the piston rings??? i go through a quart of oil every 200 miles or so, and the inside of the intake manifold is dark colored. And its a manual tranny, so no vacuum lines there. The only vacuum lines i have used a power brakes and pcv valve. All the intake manifold ports are plugged, and the unused carb ports are capped.

Ideas?? Should i just cap one of the valve cover holes???

Thanks, Josh

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oil for sbc 355

On a similar note, i am running 40-50psi oil pressure at idle, and 70-80 at 4000rpm. Using mobil 1 15w-50 racing oil. Too much pressure? Is it causing to much splatter in the valve covers??

Has anyone herd of using high zinc content diesel oil like 10w-40 for built SBC's???

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
If you plugged one valve cover the pcv system couldn`t work as it has to breathe and thats why there`s a breather in the other valve cover, this is where it gets it`s air.
Is there any oil in the intake? if so you have a intake leak.
If not then I would say it`s either valve guides or valve seals. Possibly rings.

·
AKA Lee in KC
527 Posts
Is there a baffle in the valve cover under the PCV valve? If not, you may be sucking a lot of oil through the PCV. Also, check to see that the PCV valve is actually there and functioning. It should rattle when you shake it. I once bought a billet PCV "valve" and discovered there was no actual valve in it. Just a straight pass-through.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The valve itself is fine. there is a baffle, but oil can still get through. Do they make something that is an actual filter, not just small holes??

If something was wrong with the rings, would i see other problems?? I only get smoke above 3000 or so, and i have good compression.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.