Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking of buying a few 2oz jars of pearl to pearl over the top of the a red base coat (on my carbon fibre mini street rod). I have taken note of the mixture ratios outlined in hokpaints custom paint manual (approx 2tsp per quarter of clear) and I know that I will need to cover the car with 3 coats of pearl. I was wondering how many tsp there are in the 2oz jar of pearls - and if I know this I can work out how many 2oz jars I will need to cover my carbon fibre mini shell approapriately. Thanks guys. Russ

·
Registered
182 Posts
Conversions....

1 ounce (UK) = 8 Teaspoons (UK)
OR
1 ounce (US) = 6 Teaspoons (US)

For more conversions check out this site:
http://www.onlineconversion.com/

Hope that helps you out!

·
Registered
717 Posts
those are just baselines that hok gives. you really need to get some of the pearl you are going to use and spray a couple test panels over a red base to get the desired effect down. certain color pearls over certain color bases may need a higher or less of a concentration to get the effect you want. what i can tell you is you'll only need one 2oz. jar to do your whole project and if its a small body your painting you'll probably on use 20% of it. it goes a long way!!! i have some jars of pearls i've painted atleast a half dozen full fairing sportbikes with and its still only half gone.

·
Registered
717 Posts
302/Z28 said:
Take a look at the projec33.com web site and see how much pearle Scooter added to his paint, it was a whole lot more than 2oz.

Vince
i quickly scanned the page where the body was basecoated and they mixed the pearl into the basecoat. i didn't notice anywhere where they said how much they used but if its mixed into the colored base you will use a ton of pearl. if you mix it into your clear or a clear basecoat and spray it on top as a tricoat you will use very little pearl. when you mix pearl into your color, the pigment mutes the effect so you need to add a ton of it to get the same effect as spraying a tricoat. just painted a 97 eclipse black and put a gold paerl in it. if i used 1oz (dry powder peral) on the whole car that was alot and i put a decent amount on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts