Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Sorry I dont have pictures to accompany me, but it's being weird.

Today I was washing my car with one of those wand washes (go figure, its now raining), and stuff started blowing off my rear quarter panel. The stuff is very thin, almost like saran wrap. I thought originally it was clear coat, but it is tinted black. When dry, its hard to tell the difference between where it has come off and where it is on, other than the lines.

It peels off fairly easily, and is very limp, not at all hard. Can anyone tell me what the hell this is, as I would really hate to have a whole quarter panel messed up from this.

Vehicle is a 1991 Ford Mustang, black. Its been painted in the front I know for sure, and I didnt think at the back. But around the tails lights there is minor cracks, that look like poor bonoish applications.

Im so lost with this stuff, sorry. Thank you.

·
Registered
734 Posts
BMM said:
Hello. Sorry I dont have pictures to accompany me, but it's being weird.

Today I was washing my car with one of those wand washes (go figure, its now raining), and stuff started blowing off my rear quarter panel. The stuff is very thin, almost like saran wrap. I thought originally it was clear coat, but it is tinted black. When dry, its hard to tell the difference between where it has come off and where it is on, other than the lines.

It peels off fairly easily, and is very limp, not at all hard. Can anyone tell me what the hell this is, as I would really hate to have a whole quarter panel messed up from this.

Vehicle is a 1991 Ford Mustang, black. Its been painted in the front I know for sure, and I didnt think at the back. But around the tails lights there is minor cracks, that look like poor bonoish applications.

Im so lost with this stuff, sorry. Thank you.
Sorry. There's not much you can do. Many times car dealers bring people in to "airbrush" chips out. Or you might have a painted panel that wasn't prepped properly.

You'll have to take it somewhere and have them take a GOOD look at the entire back end of the car...or if you are brave...pressure wash the heck out of the entire car and see if you get anymore flaking first!

Remember this ...A paint job or repair is only as good as what is underneath so if its peeling you have to sand down past it and repaint or strip it and redo from bare metal out.

·
Cox Custom Cars
498 Posts
It sounds like a thin layer of clear coat. A dealer may have wanted to make it shine so it would sell faster. Now the thin clear coat is coming off in sheets.

On the other hand, the rear may have been repaired and recleared. The over spray of clear is flaking off the un prepped area. I've seen that happen. A good body shop would have color sanded the entire area followed with a good buffing and polishing. That would have removed the over spray clear for the around the repair area.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Poor prep would be my take..If there was any wax left from the previous then the clear or paint will peel..Just when is the question..

Sam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.