Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i am currently trying to decide what type of carburetor to replace my edelbrock on my '67 GTX. I have been looking at some performance carbs by Bigs, AEM and others, but they do not have a choke option. I always have to use the choke to start it. Would i have any problems starting my GTX if i went with a carb without a choke? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It will start, but you will likely have to pump the loud pedal a little to get enough fuel in it to fire, then you'll have to nurse the throttle to keep it going until it warms up enough to run on it's own. As you let up on the throttle, if the engine starts to stumble, just jab it slightly so that the accelerator pump shoots just enough fuel to keep it going.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If this is only a fair weather driver consider a carb from here: http://www.pro-system.com/index.html

I had one of his 780 DP's on my old 388 and it was by far the best carb I ever owned. I recently sold it to a guy who had a fresh 383 on the dyno and when it picked it up from 455HP to 480HP, he bought it on the spot. Now I'm building a 406 and Patrick will be building the carb for it :thumbup:

·
Banned
211 Posts
Yea, in the mean time have fun washing down your cylinders from pumping in all that raw fuel. If its a race car who cares, your supposed to freshen them up after so long. If its a street car, sacrifice a little power for something that is designed to work. Keep a choke carb which ever one you chose.

·
Differential/Driveline
1,782 Posts
QuenchPiston said:
Yea, in the mean time have fun washing down your cylinders from pumping in all that raw fuel. If its a race car who cares, your supposed to freshen them up after so long. If its a street car, sacrifice a little power for something that is designed to work. Keep a choke carb which ever one you chose.
I thought is was against the rules to use "sacrifice" and "power" in the same sentence! :D

·
Differential/Driveline
1,782 Posts
GTXthunder said:
Hello, i am currently trying to decide what type of carburetor to replace my edelbrock on my '67 GTX. I have been looking at some performance carbs by Bigs, AEM and others, but they do not have a choke option. I always have to use the choke to start it. Would i have any problems starting my GTX if i went with a carb without a choke? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
1 small pump on my 1050 dominator "obviously no choke" and it fires right up,every time.very little warm up time.A good carb will start just fine.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Prostreet6t9 :)

You replied to a 2 year old thread that was brought back from the dead by a new member...(who's post I deleted because he posted 4 identical posts tonight). :smash:

Happens to the best of us. I learned to look upwards a couple of posts in the thread to see when I'm replying to. :D

Later, mikey

·
Differential/Driveline
1,782 Posts
powerrodsmike said:
Prostreet6t9 :)

You replied to a 2 year old thread that was brought back from the dead by a new member...(who's post I deleted because he posted 4 identical posts tonight). :smash:

Happens to the best of us. I learned to look upwards a couple of posts in the thread to see when I'm replying to. :D

Later, mikey
:embarrass :embarrass :embarrass :embarrass :embarrass :embarrass

Sorry about that!! I actually seen his spam in a different thread too,My Bad :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.