Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Mustang GT. They tell me I can replace a computer chip and get more horsepower, without touching the engine? Is this true, and will it hurt the engine, and if not where can I buy it?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yes, this is true. Fuel injected motors come with the optimun air/fuel mixtue tailored for gas mileage and economy. You can buy performance chips that change the air/fuel mixture more for performance without affecting the smog. This usually results in about 5-15hp depending on the chip. You can also buy chips that change the shift point of automatic transmissions if thats what you have. Jet performance chips have a large selection and you can buy them through summitracing.com

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
After you install the chip(s) exspect a rather large change in fuel economy. I put a chip in a '99 mustang, hopped it up with the Rousche stage 2 kit and the chip alone drank a gallon or two more, dropped the gas mialage to about 16-17mpg

·
At a loss for words
364 Posts
I've heard from a few different people that custom chips are better than the ones that are mass produced like Jet chips. I haven't used a Jet one before so I really can't back that up though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts