Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 firebird and was thinking of getting an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold. I am concerned that there will be stock hood clearance issues.

Will I be OK?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
TTT

Someone has to know if I will have stock hood clearance issues...

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Well first off you never listed the size of motor in your post or the type of carburation you intend on using or the type of aircleaner, these are all critical dependant issues that will determine if it will fit.

At the very least you will need to purchase a drop center air cleaner to replace the factory hat.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a 400 poncho... which has the same external dimensions as the 326, 350, 455...

As far as the carburator goes, I plan on using a 4b. Brand would depend on what would fit with this given combination.

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Is the engine in the car?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
350 is in it now. 400 in it later. Test fit will be on the 350.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but i pretty much have a 350 in my car, it has the same manifold in it youre talking about. Hood wouldnt close with a normal airfilter, had to get one that ....hmmm...how should i say, sorta goes around the carburetor so you cant even see the carburetor. But the hood closes now, but touches the air filter. My application is on a 1986 z28.
Goodluck man.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i own a 76 camaro 350 with rpm air gap perfomer manifold & 600 holley a drop base air cleaner & 2 1/2 filter 14" diameter will fit but it is close make sure your engine mounts are in good condition otherwise under acceleration the filter top may touch the underside of the bonnet

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help guys. I know the 67-68 firebird hood is vastly different from the other years (Camaro's included). The 350 pontiac is also way different than a 350 chevrolet.

Any other options for the ponch with similar flow of the RPM with a lower profile?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Clearence

Does your Firebird have the Ram Air Style hood? Our 69 has the same intake with a Q-jet, low profile air cleaner and the hood has the insulation pad on it and no clearence problems.:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
The stock '68-'71 Quadrajet manifold is reputed to flow better than a Performer, & almost as well as a Performer RPM, and should have zero fit issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts