Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just installed a Pertronics kit in a '55 T Bird yesterday, it wouldn't start, found a bad coil wire, replaced it, it started, run, but poorly. Today, I put in a new set plug wires, (correctly ), now, I can't get the Pertronics unit to fire, it will only fire a spark when you first turn the key, and then again when you turn the key off,, nothing while cranking. What is the minumun voltage required to fire this Pertronics unit ?

·
Faith - Respect - Trust
3,528 Posts
I'm not too keen on Pertonics ignitions. There have been a number of club members that have had failures and replaced them with MSD units.

Vince
I had a Pertronics distributor in a 428 Pontiac I built a number of years ago, same problem, swapped it out for an MSD, problem solved. This was the second Pertronics distributor I had that gave me grief, the other was on a 340 Dodge. Can't remember the exact problem on that one, all I know is that at higher RPM it would back fire. Went to MSD again and worked well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.