Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know PEX is getting popular for airlines, I happen to have the crimpers and PEX cutters as well.

The outlet on my compressor tank is 3/4" so I know I need 3/4" or greater.. Will the PEX fittings neck the flow down to where I need 1" PEX? I plan on using 120-140 PSI only. PEX is rated at 165 PSI working pressure, but has a 1,500 PSI burst pressure so I'm confident looking at the installs I have seen, BUT many of them seem to be 1/2" which would be undersized for my compressor

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,819 Posts
3/4 PEX with a fitting installed has a ID of about 5/8. Depending on what youre asking the compressor to do in the form of CFM at the outlet, 5/8 at a 50foot run will reduce the flow about 10psi according to my math. Will 110-125psi be enough for what you need? 1" PEX is min more in cost unless you have to buy everything 1" then you might be getting to the tip over point. You'll have to do some figurin and decide what's cost beneficial for your plans. NO one has ever been unhappy when over built though.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pump I will be using is rated to 145 PSI. I could run 145 PSI. After I posted this I was thinking 1" run across the shop as a main supply, and then dropped to 3/4" copper for the drops. Copper adds cost but it also adds cooling to the air. It's like $15/ stick. I think I only need ~5 drops

my main use for the capacity will be painting, so under 50 PSI. BUT I probably will use a sandblaster, needle scaler, cutoff tool and possibly a plasma cutter. It might get more high pressure high volume use than I think

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd have $500 tied up into it at least. Might as well go copper. The Home Garage system is 1/2", it would take the Maxline system to go 3/4" and that starts at $269 for a basic kit

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
I put my systems together with 3/4" PVC and a copper cooler mounted above my main garage door. This the third system I have had and never had a problem with it. The only thing to watch out for is fittings, if the fitting isn't snug when fitted dry, then I put it in the return pile but there's only been a few of those. I have a 30x22 garage now with air where I need it and I use one side as a temporary paint booth. For that side I have a large desiccant filter that then flows through a pair of debris traps and includes another moisture drop.

I know people frown on PVC as air pressure pipe so it's personal choice.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had 1/2" black iron when I had just a shed. I tore it apart because the way I had it ran trapped water and it was overkill for a shed with just a 10 gallon compressor. I think the cost would be similar to copper

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.