Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any skinny on these tires? Phoenix only sells slicks. They also appear to have a very good sidewall width to tread width ratio.

The site sugguests the tires have had problems in the past.

Any thought is welcomed

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
:)

I saw where you double posted this question SO I deleted the other same exact one.......:D

Good Luck with your question.

DEUCE.........

·
It'll go, or it'll blow...
152 Posts
Phoenix is the new name for Firestone slicks since about 8 years ago. My understanding is they are the same compounds as Firestone.

They are very popular with class racers- in the stock and superstock classes. I used to run these on a street/ strip bracket car. *Excellent* tires. They hooked when the cords were showing! Been 1.46 60' time on 9" Phoenix on a 3500+lb street/strip car.

I have never heard anything bad about them at all. What exactly have you heard? Also, you might want to ask questions regarding these tires on a stock/ superstock or drag racing forum where more users have experience in their use.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking for slicks

The car I'm building is a striped down 1970 Cuda (The car was built Pro Stock in the 70s) I'm looking for a slick for a 2900 lb Modified drag car running approx 1200 horse. The car can fit a 32x14 inch slick. Phoenix measures favorably on the section width (16.5") which is close to the max the Cuda's wheelwells will allow. From this 16.5" sidewall width Phoenix makes a tire with a 14.2" tread width. This is the widest tread width inside a 16.5" overall width I've seen (including Good Year, Hoosier, Mickey Thompson and MMH Racemasters) Can Phoenix hold up in a sub 9 second car?

At the Phoenix website, Phoenix says they has dealt with all manufacturing problems that they had in the past (I'm wondering if they are referring to Firestone's problems)

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Cory Johnson

1 - 4 of 4 Posts