Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for ideas on using a '50 Ford F-1 front axle and converting the parallel spring setup over to a transverse spring setup. Ever seen it done? Should I try a Split Wishbone or 4-bar hookup. :confused: As a newbie I've looked at tons of photos. I like the "Apperson " style frontends and have seen a few axles with what looks like a flat top spring perch on an old I-Beam axle, but never get a side view to see how the other parts hookup. I have access to machine shop tools and have done some forging and heat treating so I'm not totally intimidated but need advice. Not ready to can the idea yet... Going to try it out for rat rod with custom frame.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts

It looks like the transverse spring rides on shackle kits and these and the four bar mounts might possibly be located at the current spring perches if you don't want to go to tube.

-SPEEDWAY MOTORS-

Maybe the above will give you some ideas.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
If you want to convert the dual spring axle to a transverse spring it is quite simple. Remove the springs and u-bolts from the axle. Cut off or grind the wide section of axle flange where springs rested if you choose to for appearance.
Buy a new Model A front spring and shackles. Fabricate a pair of spring perches which will be welded to the top of the axle duplicating the width and height of Model A spring perches.
Fabricate a pair of batwings to mount your radius rods or four-bar links to and weld to axle at appropriate width for your frame setup. Fabricate or purchase radius rods or four bar links.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts