Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lmao i recently rebuilt a 350 for my 79 chevy k10 and now that i have my motor back in and valves adjusted properly (thanks guys) it has come to my attention that i have a pile of vacuum lines up to my knee's and no idea and most importantly no pictures to help.... I guess im just curious which ones are real important and which ones i should just put in a box. Any and all help will be apreciated.

Thanks fellas :confused:

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
If you have to get it "E"tested, they are important.

There should be a diagram on a decal under the hood. If not you will need a diagram. Pretty sure a Haynes or Chiltons manual will have one. Someone here may have a scan of one..........

·
Pure American Muscle
684 Posts
Keep you PCV valve hoooked up to the valve covers and carb/mani.
Another line to trans if auto
It's possible to have a vacume canister or something of that sort used to clean emissions. You may or may not need that.

Alot of times engines from around that time came with a crap load of smog stuff and when rebuilding most of that is ex'ed off the list anyways and the hoses lose their use unless you still havet o pass emissons testing in which case they have to be hooked up.
It is hard to say without a picture. Maybe you can give us an idea of what all things COULD have a hose hooked up to them and don't (ie. things in the engine bay)

I agree with the above also there should be a man. for it that will show you everything. Try searching the web (google) for a picture there is just about everything on the net today.

Good luck

Just a little help.

Chris

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah no e-test here and there is a diagram under the hood and in the chiltons but there is mad vacuum lines in very little fine print and it gives me a headache when i try and comprehend it. I guess what im looking for is what vacuum lines do i really need and which ones i can put in storage for a later project. lol Things im curious about and i know i need 1. vaccum advance.. I know it comes off the distributor but where do i plug it in? 2. Cruise control hmmm not really needed but if its handy wth. 3. The one that comes off the back of the motor and has a rod that goes into a restrictor plate doohicky of the exhaust? I really have no idea so i apreciate everyones input.

Forgot to add i also purchased a 83 chevy 3/4 2 wheel drive that had been stripped from its emmisions stuff so i took a lot of tips of it when rebuiding mine. The 3 main things i did (right or wrong who knows) on my 79 350 the intake had a orange vacuum line coming of the water neck, it got plugged also had a twin vacuum plug right behind it, also plugged and finally near the back of the intake in front of the distributor was another vacuum plug with 3 prongs and u guessed it, plugged. Per intruction from friends "ah u dont need all that bs" lol BUT i did keep all vaccum plugs just in case.

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
Assuming you've removed all the smog stuff:

1. The vacuum advance line (A lot of disagreement on this) should go to a carb port on the base of the carb. Some say it should go to a higher port. Your choice, it will at least run either way.

2. PCV goes to the large carb port.

3. Cruise should probably go to one of those ports on the 3-port take-off behind the carb.

4. Power brakes (?) should go the same as the cruise.

5. Trans line should go the same as the cruise (350 trans).

If you have any round black plastic cannisters, they are for vacuum and their lines should go another full vacuum source like the one for the cruise.

You may also have a hose from the charcoal cannister, probably located behind the left headlight. That should go to a large carb port.

Plug all other ports for the time being.

That should get you running.

Good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its just after midnight and i am printing out your post and just wanted to say Thanks!!! That is very helpfull and posted in dummy terms so i can understand W00t!!

Steve:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.